Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Earls Barton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Default My Irish ancestors are impossible.

I know how this looks - "MemoryLayne is bombarding this forum" - but honestly, my brickwalls are just THAT numerous and irritating. Anyway, I doubt this particular beast can ever be solved, but my ancestors for this wall were Dennis Mullins and his wife Ellen, her maiden name being Howes/House. He was a bricklayer born c. 1817 in Cork, she was born c. 1814 in Cork also. The circa is included because the census takers throw a rather embarrassing wobbly between 1851 and 1861. Her much younger brothers John and Charles (born c. 1835 and 1837) were living with the Mullins family in 1851 in Shoreditch (I think). Any attempt to solidly find Dennis' or the Howes kids' parents has proved completely fruitless and pointless for the last three and a half years. I know Irish records are scarce, but ...

Famous for offering help & advice

if you've been looking for 3+ years you have probably already seen the following Irish baptism records on FMP (FindMyPast)

John House - 1837
    John Howes - 1835
    John Howes - 1836
    John Howes - 1839

on the 1851 census (using FamilySearch) his estimated age is 15 (1836)

1851 census HO107; piece 1522; folio 82; page 13

the Mullins children on that 1851 census (at least the ones I can find in the GRO birth index) all have mother's maiden name HOWES

FMP also has an 1817 Cork baptism record for a Denis (sic) Mullins

I see the 1835 Southwark marriage of Dennis & Ellen has her as Ellen HOUSE

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    FMP also has an 1817 Cork baptism record for a Denis (sic) Mullins
    Some extra details for the above baptism.

Denis Mullins
    Father Jerry Mullins
    Mother MARGT McCarthy
    Sponsor 1 Patrick Scannell
    Sponsor 2 Cath Donovan
    Recorded Parochial Area SOUTH PARISH, CORK (ST. FINBAR'S, CHRIST CHURCH, ST. NICHOLAS, ST. JOHN OF JERUSALEM)
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Earls Barton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Default My Mullins and House family in 1800s Ireland

I don't know if I've posted about this before on here, but this is driving me up the wall so anyway. My Irish 4x-great-grandparents Dennis Mullins and Ellen House married in Southwark, London in September 1835. Going by the 1851 Islington census, they were both from County Cork, Dennis being born in 1817, and Ellen in 1819. Lodgers whom I assume are Ellen's younger brothers, Charles (b. 1834) and John (b. 1836) are also living with the Mullins family then. The problem is trying to find baptisms for Dennis or the House siblings. I think I've found Dennis, but it's a toss-up between two records. As for Ellen, Charles and John... NOTHING. I've tried various spellings, due to the likely accent - House, Howes, Howe, Hows - and there's tumbleweed. Trying to find Charles and/or John after 1851 is somehow even worse. Did they stay in London or go back to Ireland? No idea. Can anyone please give me a possible lead? I've been going round in circles for seven years.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by MemoryLayne View Post
    I don't know if I've posted about this before on here, but this is driving me up the wall so anyway.
    Hi MemoryLayne,
    Yes, you had posted before, and received a few replies, which you might want to re-read yourself.
    Multiple posts about the same people cause confusion so I've moved your new post to the previous thread.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Dennis Mullins

Marriage Date 6 Sep 1835

Saint George The Martyr: Borough High Street, Southwark, England

Spouse Ellen House

On the image of the marraige from the Parish register witnesses are Jeremiah Mullins & Catherine Mullins.

They could be related to Dennis,Could Jeremiah be a brother? This might help tracing the parents of Dennis.

Knowledgeable and helpful

A stumbling block you face is that not every RC parish in Cork has records for the years you need (ie c 1817/1819). Many don’t start till the 1820s or later. Plus there's the odd parish where the records have never been filmed or put on-line. You can see what records exist, and where they are available, using this link (there’s 107 parishes):

https://www.johngrenham.com/records/...man%20Catholic

No easy way round the problem. DNA testing perhaps.
    ELWYN