Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Secret Brothers??

No idea if they were black sheep or not but it appears my nan had two additional brothers which no one in the family know about.. my nan died in 2004 so can't ask her either!
    She was Nellie Collingbourne b1920 in Stepney and her parents were Alfred Albert and Rose Mary.
    I found the Collingbourne family on the 1911 census living in London, Alfred, Rose and 3 sons, Alfred b1905, Henry John b1906 and William b1908. Alfred we knew about, and later there was a Catherine b1914 but Henry John and William have never been mentioned. I originally thought, given the age gap between them and my nan that they probably died before she was born, and I did find a death record for a Henry W who was born in 1906 and died in 1921 so that may be the first brother. The only death record I could find for a William b1908 was for 1949? So my nan would have been 29?
    Then I found a 1939 register which lists a William Collingbourne b1908 living with Rose Collingbourne and Kitty Orchant (I know this to be my nan's sister Catherine as she was nicknamed Kitty and married a Harris Orchant). There is another name blanked out which I suspect is my nan but her records are still closed.
    So if William was living with the family as an adult why was he never mentioned?
    I suppose I will never know but I would love to find out!

BLack sheep? One of my Uncles was never mentioned after he got divorced and rapidly remarried....

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    BLack sheep? One of my Uncles was never mentioned after he got divorced and rapidly remarried....
    Could be something like that?? Now I have evidence that he survived into adulthood I'll have a proper dig around the records!

Brick wall demolition expert!

It might be worth considering buying the two death certificates you have identified as that might give you a clue.

For instance if one of them had what might have been termed in those days a "defect" the family might not have talked about it.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    It might be worth considering buying the two death certificates you have identified as that might give you a clue.

For instance if one of them had what might have been termed in those days a "defect" the family might not have talked about it.
    Yes that's a good plan! I think I will do that.. will it tell me next of kin details as well as what they died of? so that I can identify if I have the right people or not?
    Can't wait until the 1921 census is available online.. I would be interested to see if they are on that!

In the case of the younger it may say son of xyz, but for the older one no. What it tell you is where they died, the cause of death, and who registered the death, and that last part might be a strong clue.

The problem with this hobby is its addictive and if you are not careful it can get expensive!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    In the case of the younger it may say son of xyz, but for the older one no. What it tell you is where they died, the cause of death, and who registered the death, and that last part might be a strong clue.

The problem with this hobby is its addictive and if you are not careful it can get expensive!
    I know! I think the certificates are about £9 each.. not too pricey but that will soon add up. I only plan to order them once I have exhausted all other options. Is there no way of all at viewing them online? Even if you have to pay a fee?

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.s2012 View Post
    Is there no way of all at viewing them online? Even if you have to pay a fee?
    Unfortunately not.

Have you checked the Collingbourne births on the General Register Office (GRO) for the period you are interested in?

Up to 1918 - mother's surname Fitzgerald, all born Poplar.

William Collingbourne, Jun Qtr 1908
    Henry William Collingbourne, Mar Qtr 1906
    Thomas John Collingbourne, Mar Qtr 1913
    Catherine Collingbourne, Jun Qtr 1914
    Rose Mary Collingbourne, Mar Qtr 1913

Nellie Collingbourne was registered 1920, Stepney, mother's name Fitzgerald
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Alfred William Collingbourne, 1904, Mile End Old Town, - mother Fitzgerald
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast