Hello, this is my first post, and one of many I hope.

I am researching a relative called John Monk, born in Neston/Parkgate in 1790 (d. 1880). I have done a lot of work based on family documents and National Archive records but I am stuck on several areas, one in particular. I would be grateful for any advice on how to go about it...

John was in the Royal Navy from 1806 to 1816, rising to Lieutenant (eventually Commander, Retired later in life). He then captained merchant vessels between Liverpool, Dublin and the Mediterranean (mostly Leghorn) between 1824 and 1837, when he seems to have retired.

Personal and official records show he joined the Royal Navy in 1806 (aged about 15) as Able Seaman (AB) in 1806 for 3 months on HMS Dictator. He was promoted to Midshipman later that year. ABs were supposed to be experienced, and midshipmen were meant to have several years at sea already. This all suggests to me that he had previous experience at sea but I have no record of it. I want to find out whether he was at sea before 1806, possibly on a merchant ship.

One source said he went to sea in 1803 aged 10, but that was from an unreliable speech at a memorial service.

I am London-based with access to the National Archives at Kew but with this one I just don't know where to start. I would welcome all thoughts on how to go about this!

Best wishes, Simsam