Thread: George Wood

Loves to help with queries

Default George Wood

George Wood was born in 1850, in Limehouse Middlesex.His Mother Emma died in 1863 and his father Thomas died in 1867. On the 1871 census record George is in the Army. I have a family tree on a popular genealogy web site and the following hint has come up with regard to George.

UK, Military Deserters, 1812-1927

Name: George Wood
    Birth Year: Abt 1850
    Birth Place: Limehouse, London
    Desertion Date: 18 Aug 1871
    Desertion Place: Preston
    Publication Date: 30 Aug 1871
    Regimental Number: 1769
    Military Corps: 12th Foot

To see the original image you need to go to fold3 which I am not a paid up member of, I have been unable to find the image else where.
    Could someone point me in the right direction as to where I might find another copy of the image.
    Appreciate any help.
    Thank you.

Brick wall demolition expert!

You either need to wait until Ancestry offer Free access to Fold3 as they do periodically usually linked to some event as the anniversary of D Day, or you need to visit the National Archives at Kew.

Thank you Megan.
    I shall look out for the free access on Ancestry, I live on the Isle of Wight so getting to Kew would be quite expensive.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenpest29 View Post
    Thank you Megan.
    I shall look out for the free access on Ancestry, I live on the Isle of Wight so getting to Kew would be quite expensive.
    Having just seen wimsey's post about Ancestry offering free access to all UK military records until the 7 July, I decided to check out George's record.
    As Megan said, it's on Fold3 only, and not part of the free offer. However, if you do a search, and then click to view the record, you should get a link to a free 7-day trial for all Fold3 records. Make sure that you untick any auto-subscribe boxes, else your bank account will have a nasty shock in seven days' time.

Yearly offer sub (US$49.95) at the moment converts to just under forty quid, which might be cheaper than the fare to Kew. While it seems that you can also take out a monthly sub for just under eight dollars which, at approximately £6.40, certainly will be cheaper.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you Pam I will give it ago.