Default Uniform/Regiment Identification.

I would be grateful if anyone can identify the uniform/regiment of the a Scottish soldier in this photo.

The only information I have to go on is:

• Born c1874
    • The recruitment location would be Stirlingshire or North Lanarkshire, Scotland.
    • He is likely to have served pre-WW1 and is known to be 30 years of age in 1904 (unlikely he served in WW1)
    • May have served in the South African War

Not the best info, but I'm sure the more eagle-eyed of you may spot clues from his uniform.

Many thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182355...ream/lightbox/

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Not a expert but could be Black Watch.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keith9351 View Post
    Not a expert but could be Black Watch.

Keith
    Not sure - the belt buckle for the Black Watch/Royal Highlanders was a rectangular shape.

That doesn’t look like the Black Watch tartan. It’s very dark.
    You could try searching the uniform tartans of the other Highland regiments and comparing them. The sett (the number of lines going up and down or sideways, counting the thinnest as 1 and the others as higher numbers, depending on how many of the basic one they contain) is definitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    That doesn’t look like the Black Watch tartan. It’s very dark.
    You could try searching the uniform tartans of the other Highland regiments and comparing them. The sett (the number of lines going up and down or sideways, counting the thinnest as 1 and the others as higher numbers, depending on how many of the basic one they contain) is definitive.
    I suspect he is an Argyll incorrectly dressed! No Hat badge, no red & white checked head band, no sporran, no rank identification and no Sgian Dubh - but he has a swagger stick!

He should be on a charge!

Mmmm