Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Pat
    Was it the informant who lived at Green Walk or was it usual address for Louisa? Who was the informant please? Every little bit helps!

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Hi Pat
    Was it the informant who lived at Green Walk or was it usual address for Louisa? Who was the informant please? Every little bit helps!
    The mother (Louisa Lazenby)gave birth to Arthur Spillane Lazenby at 30 Greek Street, Soho, where she is a lodger in the 1861 census. The address of the informant, who is also Louisa L., is given as Green Walk.

It would be useful if I could post an image here of the 'informant' block of the birth certificate to see if anyone can do a better job than me of deciphering the address. Is that possible? My concern is that I don't understand why what appears to be 'Upper Ground Street' is tied to 'Green Walk.' They are both not too far from each other, but separated by Blackfriars Road. All three thoroughfares are included in the block.

Googling around, I think - tho am not sure - there was another Green Walk in Southwark, now renamed Hopton Street and at one time Holland St. This Green Walk is marked on 18th C maps and joins on to the east end of Upper Ground St. Hope this helps.

Googling around, I think - tho am not sure - there was another Green Walk in Southwark, now renamed Hopton Street and at one time Holland St. This Green Walk is marked on 18th C maps and joins on to the east end of Upper Ground St. Hope this helps.
    Thanks, Grisel, that sounds promising and accounts for the two websites I cited above each of which gives alternative names for Green Walk. The one to which you refer to seems the most likely. *When* it changed from Green Walk to Holland Street would seem to be important. I found this site which investigates the issue [https://alondoninheritance.com/tag/holland-street/]. What I need to find out is whether Hopton Street (as it now is) was called Green Walk in 1861. From the website I cite here, Green Walk was still called that in 1831.

I've had a look at the OS maps of Surrey and Middlesex from the National library of Scotland.In the maps surveyed 1868 to 1873 it is marked as Green Walk, in Christchurch parish. In the maps surveyed 1893 it is Holland Street.
    In the address search for 1861 and 1871 censuses on FMP there is a Green Walk Christchurch but none showing in 1881.
    So I am guessing that it would have been Green Walk in 1861. You need to look for the Green Walk Christchurch Souhwark not the other one.

I've had a look at the OS maps of Surrey and Middlesex from the National library of Scotland.In the maps surveyed 1868 to 1873 it is marked as Green Walk, in Christchurch parish. In the maps surveyed 1893 it is Holland Street.
    In the address search for 1861 and 1871 censuses on FMP there is a Green Walk Christchurch but none showing in 1881.
    So I am guessing that it would have been Green Walk in 1861. You need to look for the Green Walk Christchurch Souhwark not the other one.
    Hi Grisel,

Christchurch Southwark is the one I gave the census reference to at #58
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi Grisel,

Christchurch Southwark is the one I gave the census reference to at #58
    My thanks to all who have helped me on this. . . I did find an excellent large-scale map of the area in 1866, and found Green Walk easily. It's a short street running parallel to Blackfriars Station and between Holland and Southwark Streets. I'm still unable to fathom why the Registrar added Upper Ground Street to the equation. It's a puzzlement.

Thanks Alma,I hadn't checked that out.( the 1861 census details)
    Are you able to check the address John Lazenby and family are at in 1861 in the same area? Is he Louisa's older brother? I think FS might have his age wrong.I wondered if he was living near to Green Walk.

Hi Pat - possibly Upper Ground was mentioned just to distinguish this Green Walk from the other one.

Thanks Alma,I hadn't checked that out.( the 1861 census details)
    Are you able to check the address John Lazenby and family are at in 1861 in the same area? Is he Louisa's older brother? I think FS might have his age wrong.I wondered if he was living near to Green Walk.
    Hi Grisel and Pat,

The census reference for John in 1861: RG 9; Piece: 312; Folio: 25; Page: 57

The address is: Upper Ground Place
    Alma

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast