Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default 3 Addison Rd. S Norwoo1920/25 - no elec. roll

Hello, I am looking for the incumbent Greengrocer at 3 Addison Road, South Norwood, in the period 1920 to 25. I have trawled online and genealogy sites but can only fine the ones there in the 1911 census. There are no electoral rolls on online sites for the 1920s that I can find anyway. Can anyone help with this please. The answer will be a big key for the locked door in my brickwall.. to all my metaphors. Thanks Prue

A fountain of knowledge

Not the years you were looking for so may not be of any help.

No names mentioned in this first article.

The Times (London, England), Saturday,
    January 17, 1920
    Nos 3 - 11 [odd] Addison Road, South Norwood - An excellent corner shop , with living rooms over, yard and stabling, and four weekly houses in this busy and well letting neighbourhood. Let and producing £108 4s per annum. Lease 48 years. Ground rent £18.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

The below article does not state a shop/house number but does say he is a greengrocer, how many were on that street i have idea.

Published: Friday 31 July 1931
    Newspaper: Norwood News

owned by Arthur Player (iv), greengrocer, Addison-road, South Norwood. Player was charged with having tortured the animal by winking it while in an unfit state

A fountain of knowledge

I believe that census's are locked for 100 years so it'll be at least 2021 until the next census is released online.

Norwood News, 9 Sep 1921
    "If you want to ride like that, you had better wear bloomers, you know" Mr S G Eldridge, clerk to the Croydon magstrates, told Olive Burrows, a girl of about 16, of 3 Addison-Road, South Norwood, at Croydon Police Court on Tuesday".

She had been riding pillion on the motor cycle of a Frederick William Robarts of 81 Dundee Road, South Norwood. Her skirt had obscured the rear number plate.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Norwood News, 9 Sep 1921
    "If you want to ride like that, you had better wear bloomers, you know" Mr S G Eldridge, clerk to the Croydon magstrates, told Olive Burrows, a girl of about 16, of 3 Addison-Road, South Norwood, at Croydon Police Court on Tuesday".

She had been riding pillion on the motor cycle of a Frederick William Robarts of 81 Dundee Road, South Norwood. Her skirt had obscured the rear number plate.
    I note you've already have this info. from a separate site
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator

Pru

Not sure what sites you have looked but the site I use (Ancestry) has Electoral Registers for London from 1832 to 1965. Unfortunately without a surname it means searching on the address and trawling through.

Reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, South Norwood was not in London in the 1920s.

The Surrey collection on Ancestry won't help either because South Norwood was under Croydon which was a county borough.

The most extensive online collection of electoral registers is the British Library collection on Findmypast. Unfortunately the British Library itself only has a modest collection of registers from before WW2.

There is a good collection of electoral registers at the Museum of Croydon...

https://www.museumofcroydon.com/asset...or_website.pdf

I wouldn't have thought Croydon was an impossibly difficult journey from West Sussex.