Default Where do I start to find a birth certificate?

Greetings. I am keen to get a copy of my great grandfather's birth certificate, just for family tree purposes. John Macdonald was born to Alexander Macdonald & Annie Munro on 26th November 1869 in Inverness, Scotland. He died in Fochabers on 31/08/1919, and I already have both his death and marriage certificates. Please could someone advise how to go about locating and buying a copy of his birth certificate. Thanks for your assistance.

Famous for offering help & advice

Getting scottish certificates is relatively easy, as long as they are not too modern. You go to the Scotlands People website HERE, open an account with them, and buy a few credits. Once you have an account, you can search for a range of different documents, but to see and download the document, you must spend a few of your credits. Deaths are under "statutory registers".

The search engine allows assorted options for each type of search. For example, it allows you to specify exact name, or some variation. For the example you quote, I would ask it for "begins with" Ann for Ms Munro. She may have used "Annie" all her life, but have been registered as "Ann".

Some time ago, I posted a message about what you can find there, and how, at the top of the General Scottish forum HERE. If you have scottish ancestry, you may also find the other messages at the top of that forum useful.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Ancestry Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950.

Name: John Mcdonald
    Birth Date: 26 Nov 1869
    Birth Place: Inverness,Inverness,Scotland
    Father: Alexander. Mcdonald
    Mother: Ann Munro.

Text only. No image.

Using ScotlandsPeople, there are 8 John McDonalds registered in 1869, Inverness.

Use your credirs wisely, they soon get used up.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

But the birth date is already known, so he doesn’t have to look at everyone in 1869.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Credits to view basic info on each, on ScotlandsPeople and work through them one by one. When the right one is found....more credits to purchase cert.

With a good bit of luck....it will be the first one looked at.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone for helping me to locate John Macdonald's birth certificate, which I found on Scotland's People as suggested by Steve. I managed to get the correct one on the 5th try out of 8!! I am grateful for all of you help. The reason I took so long to reply is that I could not log on to my profile, despite resetting passwords and waiting overnight. So I had to re-register, and this is why I have a different profile name now. Janet