Starting to feel at home

Default Samuel Oldroyd transported 1836

My relative Samuel Oldroyd was sentenced to life for killing a sheep with intent to steal. He sailed on the Eden in August 1836 and arrived in VDL December 1836. After that, nothing!!!!.
    I have searched a few sites but so far have found no information as to what happened next.

Brick wall demolition expert!

You need to search the Tasmania Archives Names Index and you will find him there.

https://librariestas.ent.sirsidynix....t/en_AU/names/

Its free to use, and can be a little slow, but perservere with it.

In addition to being indexed under Oldroyd he has also been indexed under Aldroyd

It looks as though he was accidentally killed 30 Nov 1846 at Launceston.

He's listed in The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tasmania), 18 Jan 1845, amongst those being granted their ticket of leave.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for this info. that's a big help. I've managed to follow some of it. Just looking for the "Ticket to Leave" and his death.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    He's listed in The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tasmania), 18 Jan 1845, amongst those being granted their ticket of leave.
    You will find that on TROVE - which is the Australian Govt's free to use site:
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffio View Post
    Thank you for this info. that's a big help. I've managed to follow some of it. Just looking for the "Ticket to Leave" and his death.
    You are unlikely to find the actual Ticket of Leave - I never find any in Tasmania. You can find them in New South Wales. His "Conduct Record" from Names Index should give you an awful lot of information. It can be "painful" getting to the right page.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks again. I have found the newspaper article about his ticket to leave, his conduct record which gave me some useful info. Can you point me in the direction of the info on his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffio View Post
    Thanks again. I have found the newspaper article about his ticket to leave, his conduct record which gave me some useful info. Can you point me in the direction of the info on his death.
    Included in the documents listed in the Tasmanian Archives is one called Death Under Sentence - you will find it right at the bottom of the list. The handwriting is bad but you can pick him up though his first name and the ship's name. This link might work: https://stors.tas.gov.au/CON63-1-2$init=1355332

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for that, you are a star.

I'd looked at that once and missed it, I think its time to start and wear my glass when trying to read old documents.
    Its a fascinating site I will have to familiarise myself with it.

So sad that he didn't make it home. All for "Killing a sheep with intent to steal"