Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Pl amend as suggested - another senior moment.
    Correctly recorded in my notebook when transcribing from source record but downhill all the way after that!

regards
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam,
    No Amy Millicent is definitely my Granny, actually knew her for 6 years.
    I have just received a write up that my Mom had done, my sister had it all this time, anyway I have copied a bit of it and paste it below. This gives a bit of light on the subject, however I don't know if it is 100% accurate.

Nothing much is known about the early history of the Hembery family. Only the facts that Charles, who was a Solicitor, married Edith Marie Gifford. Whose brother or father was well known as a cricketer.
    As far as Louisa Jane's family was concerned, she was the sixth child of John Brooks – a farmer, and Jane Sudry. Herself the daughter of a seafarer. Louisa’s mother evidently couldn’t (or wouldn’t) cope with all the children. So John Brooks’ sister Mary, who was then married to a man Adams, a Sea Captain, took Louisa and brought her up from early childhood.
    The story is told in the family that Adams (Christian name unknown) was a smuggler – as were many sea captains in those days, and one time when Queen Victoria visited Southampton, his home port, he presented her with a length of French Lace. She eventually found out it was smuggled into England, and was so furious that she swore never to visit Southampton again. She never did.
    How young Charles Hembery met Louisa Brooks is not known. But as he was a “Slater” - that is a person who tiles roofs – it could well be that he worked in Southampton. Of course he may have been born and lived there, moving to Bournemouth after his marriage. It is known however, that his father was not at all pleased at the marriage as he felt his son married beneath him. As Louisa was only a farmer’s daughter.
    Charles and Louisa lived at 118 Parkwood Road, Boscombe, Bournemouth. Which was a double story semidetached house. Evidently they owned the complete building and only in later years let the half when nearly all the family had married and left home.
    They had ten children in all, nine girls and one boy. Charles used to clean his wife’s shoes and his own every morning, but he made his son Charley clean all his sisters’ shoes.
    Amy went back to England for a holiday, taking Ruth (my Mom), her one year old daughter with her in 1925 – this was the last time she was to see her parents, as her father Charles died in 1929 and her mother Louisa lived till the ripe old age of 92, dying of old age in 1948. She had good eyesight right until the end never wearing glasses and always knitting for her many grandchildren.
    Both Charles and Louisa are buried in the cemetery in what is now known as Littledown, Bournemouth.

Post #10 identifies the marriage of a Charles Hembery and Louisa Jane Brooks - with fathers' names (diolch Almach!!). Louisa Jane's parent doesn't appear to "fit" Louisa Jane's parentage at post #22.

Is this the Hembery family in '81 - ref RG11 1194 89 43 - transcribed as Hernbery on FMP?

Re. the Jane Louisa Hernbery/Hembery on the 1881 Census, born Lymington

GRO Birth Registration

Louisa Jane Brooks, Sep Qtr 1855, Reg. Dist Lymington, 2b 421 - mother's maiden name Gilbert - possibility?

There's a marriage of a George Brooks, Jun Qtr 1849, registration district Southampton. 4 possible spouses listed on same page - including a Jane Ann Gilbert.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123