Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default American looking for Hallam

Hi all! I'm new to this so please bear with me! I have found a marriage certificate for William Hallam and Harriet Bould Kent in 1865. They are my great great grandparents. I am pretty far along finding the Bould lineage but have not had much success on the Hallam side. The certificate states that they were both widowed and he was from Nottingham. A surprise to me, since most of my ancestors are from Warwickshire and Staffordshire! Anyway, it would be greatly appreciated of anyone could help me.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Suggest you search for William prior to his marriage,census should include his parents and then look for his baptism.
    William's profile on your Ancestry tree shows mostly records for his daughter!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello kittwoll,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Unlike warmcoort I'm having problems finding your tree on Ancestry, and I'm having difficulty finding William and Harriet in a census, so a few more details are required.

What other details are on the marriage certificate? Specifically, ages of William and Harriet, addresses, occupations, and names and occupations of fathers. Where did the marriage take place? I know the district, but there's lots of places in the district.

Were they still in England in 1871?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Pam,
    1871 census,living in Aston,Warwickshire
    William Hallam 37,bricklayer,born Nottingham
    Harriet Hallam,37,born Stafford
    Another tree has marriage on 21 Oct 1865,Christ Church,Burton Upon Trent,Staffordshire.
    Eric

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Having now twigged that Harriet was born Harriet Bould, I've now found her marriage registration to Henry Kent in 1850, and have found them and four children in the 1861 census, living in Burton on Trent. RG9/1965 folio 113 page 24.

I've also found William Hallam and Harriet in 1871, living in Aston. RG10/2140 folio 195 page 6. Living with their daughter, Mary, aged 2, and a 15-year old Emily who I assume is Harriet and Henry Kent's daughter who is 5 in 1861.

William is 34 in 1871 and a bricklayer. Harriet is 37 in 1871, and 31 in 1861; both times born Stafford.

Added: We cross-posted, Eric. Thanks for the additional info.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Harriet and Henry Kent with Bould family
    1851 Census HO107 1999 135 35
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

William and Harriet's marriage, 21 Oct 1865 - cert. on FMP

William Hallam (of full age), widower, labourer, father John Hallam, framework knitter
    Harriet Kent, (of full age), widow, father Samuel, cordwainer

Both of Burton on Trent

1851 Census HO107 2086 81 14

John Hallam, Frame Work Knitter with Wife Ellen and children - including William, age 14, born Arnold

FMP Baptism (transcription only)

William Hallam, bap 18 Dec 1836, St Mary Church, Arnold (Nottinghamshire), parents John and Ellen

"Probable" death for Henry Kent?

Staffordshire Advertiser, 19 Mar 1864
    Deaths - On the 12th instant, Henry Kent, Uxbridge Street, Burton on Trent, aged 35 years.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wink Hallam support....

Thanks all! What a great response! This is more info than I've been able to find on my own in the last few weeks! I will continue looking in the censuses with the added info you have provided. Another question for clarity....Helachau posts the 1851 census with "William, age 14, born Arnold"..... is that William born with surname Arnold?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast