Debra Bozkurt

Default George Bond and Mary Ann Powell Cardiff

Hi

Researching the Bond family, George Bond married Mary Ann Powell, Cardiff in 1876 according to Index. Neither George or Mary Ann came from Wales originally, Mary Ann states she was from Bristol born about 1855 in census after her marriage (there are a number of possibilities but none feel right). A lot of the marriages of Cardiff are transcribed but this one is not so I can not trace Mary Ann with any certainty. Does anyone know if there are any other transcriptions of marriages around from Cardiff on the internet or any look up facilities. Unfortunately I do not know where in Cardiff they were living in 1876, I know they briefly moved to Bristol as one of the sons born in about 1880 was registered there, the remaining appear to have been born in Cardiff. The couple of baptism records I have for the mid 1880s the children was baptised in Roath.

Before I have to send off for the marriage certificate I thought I would ask on this forum as Wales is not an area I am that familiar with and don't really know what is available.

thanks Debs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Debra,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Like you, I'm not too familiar with Wales, but I know a little about the way the GRO index marriages within a registration district. This is a list of places within Cardiff registration district. https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/cardiff.html
    Although it doesn't affect your search, you do sometimes you have to note the 'from and to' dates and the notes at the side, as places/parishes can sometimes not only move from a town but also to a different registration district.

The Index is compiled in parish alpha order, so the first page number in the quarter would, in this instance, be given to the marriages in Barry. If there were none in Barry, then Bonvilston, etc.
    One of the first page numbers for that quarter is 317, and there's a marriage in Cadoxton cum Barry between Thomas Yeo and Emma Evans. PR image is on Findmypast under Glamorgan marriages and banns.

Marriages for Cardiff St Mary begin on page 338 and end on page 344. So I therefore assume that the other Cardiff parishes are just before/just after these numbers, and that the Cardiff parishes are listed under C rather than St or Saint.
    Marriages in Roath are on pages 355 to 362.
    Skippimg to the latter places in the district I can't find any marriages on Findmypast for Wenvoe or Whitchurch.

After the C of E parish marriages have been listed, you then get the non-conformist and register office ones. I think the register office ones come right at the end, but can't swear to it. Either way, judging by the page number, George and Mary would have married either in a non-conformist church/chapel or the register office so you don't really have much alternative except to send for the certificate.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

First, a very warm welcome to Brit-gen. As already advised, it will be necessary to send for the marriage cert which, hopefully, (but no guarantee) deliver fathers' details.

I have checked the Welsh Newpapers online site for a possible marriage notice in a Cardiff newspaper. Unable to find a marriage notice but did spot the death notice of George Bond, 61 Helen Street in the South Wales Echo, 28 Dec 1900. 61, Helen Street is George's and Mary Ann's 1891 Census address.

The 1891 Census gives Mary Ann's PoB as "St. Phillips, Bristol"

Welsh newspapers online URL https://newspapers.library.wales

Search for "61 helen street" (include the " " as part of search key)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Debra Bozkurt

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    First, a very warm welcome to Brit-gen. As already advised, it will be necessary to send for the marriage cert which, hopefully, (but no guarantee) deliver fathers' details.

I have checked the Welsh Newpapers online site for a possible marriage notice in a Cardiff newspaper. Unable to find a marriage notice but did spot the death notice of George Bond, 61 Helen Street in the South Wales Echo, 28 Dec 1900. 61, Helen Street is George's and Mary Ann's 1891 Census address.

The 1891 Census gives Mary Ann's PoB as "St. Phillips, Bristol"

Welsh newspapers online URL https://newspapers.library.wales

Search for "61 helen street" (include the " " as part of search key)
    Thank you both - have sent of for the certificate and thanks for tip for papers, I have access to British Newspaper Archives but never thought of looking there