Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who Do You Think You Are? returns this summer

New Series this Summer 2020

Award-winning family history show Who Do You Think You Are? will return to BBC One this summer – with an impressive star-studded line-up of famous faces.

A-lister Kate Winslet, Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe, international media personality and music mogul Sharon Osbourne, James Bond star Naomie Harris, comedian and Have I Got News For You captain Paul Merton, television personality Mark Wright, comedian Katherine Ryan, and comedian Jack Whitehall together with his father Michael Whitehall will unravel their families’ pasts in series 16 of the show

The long-running family history programme won its second Best Feature BAFTA award last month for series 15, which starred Olivia Colman and Boy George.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

(Loud groan)......But I suppose I'll watch it.

I guess, one day there'll be someone really interesting.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Sometimes they turn out worth watching, as long as the subjects resist the urge to emote... It's more for the sources that the BBC finds that I don't know about, and the searches in countries I haven't needed to search - India (can't remember who for) was especially interesting.
    I liked it better before they started making it so easy, though. Now it's more of a treasure hunt where each expert just sends them on to the next...

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Billy Connolly was in India ......something like a 4x Grandmother, who was Indian. He was very humble about it, but overjoyed.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Loves to help with queries

During my Tree Searches someone told me that we had a connection to Kate Winslet on her Mothers side, so I shall be watching to see if any familiar name crop up.

[QUOTE=
    I liked it better before they started making it so easy, though. Now it's more of a treasure hunt where each expert just sends them on to the next...[/QUOTE]

Hear, hear! Some of those experts and the hopping about from location to location are totally unnecessary. It has become all very formulaic.

I am also getting fed up with the ones where some relative has been to war so we get an exhaustive battle history of that war - keeps the male viewers interested, I suppose.

However in New Zealand the episodes are only shown on a penny-pinching SKY TV, and are years out of date, so heaven knows how long we will have to wait for this new series.

There's been a few reports that some celebs were dropped as potential participants because their family history wasn't sensational (the word used was "interesting") enough. I suspect that rather than being targeted at the genealogy community, the target interest group is more the folk who like "Through the keyhole" and other "know more about your favourite celeb" shows.

It can be interesting, though.
    I think I'm going to go back and watch some of the earliest series!

Growing old Disgracefully

I sometimes watch "Long Lost Family" the other days one was interesting where a Lady looking for her 2 sister when they had been looking for her for 20 years, then they found out that they werent the only ones as their where 5 -6 more children to find.