Smile Royal Warwickshire Regiment WWII

Hello -
    My grandfather used to tell me stories of his extensive WWII travels around middle and far east in the Royal Artillery. He also helped administer Berlin after the war ended. Unfortunately I was probably too young at the time to fully appreciate his 6 years in the Army. Sadly he has of course passed away and am now playing catchup. I joined forces war records but have found little to add to my existing collection of documents. I have his original discharge papers and a wonderful reference written from Berlin after the war. He was Sergeant Geoffrey Palmer - Army number 5114407. I am hoping to find more documents, perhaps a record of his movements from 1940 - 47, his battalion details and of course any commentary or personal experiences of that regiment. Its a long shot but hope someone can help, I am happy to take advice. Thanks in advance ..Paul

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Paul,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

If you want to know how you've arrived here, this should help.

Service records for personnel who served after 1921 are still held by the Ministry of Defence. Full details of how to apply can be found here.

Once you have those records you can think about searching for war diaries at The National Archives in Kew. Though you might have to visit in person to access them.

If you don't have a copy of your grandfather's death certificate then you need
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
    If you need reference numbers, district, etc, then just tell us when and where (month, year and town are sufficient) Geoffrey died. If it was prior to 1983, you might find him on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”