Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Struggling to find info

I recently purchased some WW2 medals online and am trying to do some research as to the person that was awarded them.

The enclosed pamphlet suggests that this person tragically didn't live to receive the medals

The letter has the details of the recipient "968647 S Sjt FOSTER, Charles" in respect of whose service these Awards are granted did not live to receive them.

I have searched the War Graves site and there is nothing listed for the details above.

i have the address that the medals were sent to (I have the orginal box they were sent in)

Any tips? I would like ot learn more about this brave man and if he has surviving family I would like to reunite them with the medals

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    I have given your post a thread of its own in the WW2 1939-1945 with the title you gave it "Struggling to find info"
    If you came to us from Forces War records reading this will explain the connection.
    I have had a look around but can't find anything on your man either. Now it has a thread of its own your post should attract those who know more than me. I think there is a method of identifying which regiment someone was in in WW11 by their service number.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

" I think there is a method of identifying which regiment someone was in in WW11 by their service number."
    Yes there is - Royal Artillery (Field, Coastal & Anti-Aircraft) 721001 - 1842000 and 11000001 - 11500000 - assuming we are talking about British service?

Find My Past has two sets of records, Royal Artillery Other Ranks: Casualty Cards 1939-1947 and Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942, so he could be in them, there is a list of 73 people with that name, but I don't have a subscription to check further.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by simmo1 View Post
    Hi

Find My Past has two sets of records, Royal Artillery Other Ranks: Casualty Cards 1939-1947 and Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942, so he could be in them, there is a list of 73 people with that name, but I don't have a subscription to check further.
    He's listed on the Royal Artillery attestations 1883-1942. Just says to RASC 19/3/42

Reputation beyond repute

i have the address that the medals were sent to (I have the orginal box they were sent in)
    Try the 1939 Register and the electoral registers.

Reputation beyond repute

Just been for a coffee and was thinking about the question.

If you have the address they were sent to, do you not have the name of the addressee? What was the date of issue? If he was dead by the date of issue but was not a war casualty, you have a window in which to search for his death.

What was the address? An address on its own isn't personal data so you are free to tell us.

I would like to reunite them with the medals
    The very fact that they have been sold suggests to me that the family didn't want them.

Thanks everyone for the help - It is really appreciated!

I have looked on the 1939 Census and have identified the following.

The medals were addressed to Mrs S E Foster, 127 New 7th Street Horden Durham

I have managed to find a Sarah E Foster with a child named Charlie Foster (Born 29th March 16) but they are listed as being around the corner in twelfth street (just a few streets away)

I cant find any birth records for Charles or Charlie on that date but this seems the closest match have found so far.

If indeed as this search suggests the medals were issued to his mother, so he may not have children/spouse

I will look at the other suggestions later but anything else I could consider to validate my search so far?

on the Census he had a brother and a sister so will try and research them.

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a 1945 Probate record for Charles Foster of 44 Twelfth Street, Horden who died in Sunderland Royal Infirmary on 31 May 1945. Administration to Sarah Ethel Foster (wife of James William Foster).

ADDED: This would seem to be his birth:
    FOSTER, CHARLES mmn STREET
    GRO Reference: 1916 J Quarter in AUCKLAND Volume 10A Page 436

James W Foster married (same page) Sarah E Street in Auckland RD, Durham Oct-Dec 1911

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetset2001uk View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help - It is really appreciated!

I have looked on the 1939 Census and have identified the following.

The medals were addressed to Mrs S E Foster, 127 New 7th Street Horden Durham

I have managed to find a Sarah E Foster with a child named Charlie Foster (Born 29th March 16) but they are listed as being around the corner in twelfth street (just a few streets away)

I cant find any birth records for Charles or Charlie on that date but this seems the closest match have found so far.

If indeed as this search suggests the medals were issued to his mother, so he may not have children/spouse

I will look at the other suggestions later but anything else I could consider to validate my search so far?

on the Census he had a brother and a sister so will try and research them.
    The birth for Charles Foster found in the 1939 Register was registered in June quarter 1916 Auckland registration district. Mother's maiden name Street, which agrees with birth registrations for a Leslie (registered December quarter 1913), Douglas (December quarter 1919), Leonard (December quarter 1921) and Olive (June quarter 1924).
    Marriage James William Foster and Sarah E Street, December quarter 1911, Auckland registration district.

Pam
    who's a much slower typist than Jomot1
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Just been for a coffee and was thinking about the question.

If you have the address they were sent to, do you not have the name of the addressee? What was the date of issue? If he was dead by the date of issue but was not a war casualty, you have a window in which to search for his death.

What was the address? An address on its own isn't personal data so you are free to tell us.

The very fact that they have been sold suggests to me that the family didn't want them.
    Following Jomot1's find of a possible death for Charles, one of the questions Peter raised - namely, when was the letter dated - becomes quite important.
    It might be worth splashing seven quid for a PDF copy of that death certificate. It will tell you the cause of death and should tell you if he was still a soldier - he might have been dismissed because of health issues which is why he won't be listed on the CWGC site.
    Register. Click 'Search Historical indexes'. When you find entry (for quickness enter Sunderland as the registration district), click radio button, and then click PDF.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp

Also bear in mind one of Peter's other comments
    Though it depends which 'branch' sold them, and if they consulted with any other branches before doing so.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast