Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lieutenant Robert Weir Royal Scots

I have made a start in researching the military records of Lt. Robert Weir of 1/8th Batt. Royal Scots. The limited information available states that he was killed in action on 16 November 1916 and buried in Beaumont-Hamel British Cemetery France.

It seems from most sources that there is limited information about this officer and I find it odd that information from the Regiment and authoritative web sites have nothing more that name, rank and date of death!

Hopefully more information will come from topical site such as this.

Many thanks if you can assist.

Famous for offering help & advice

You may already have this. There is a little information on George Watson's College website. Go to
    www.
    gwc.org.uk
    then
    Our School
    Our heritage
    Watson's war records

The most authoritative website on WW1 deaths, the Commonwealth War Graves site, also says that he was the son of William and Jane Weir of Roselea, Oxton, Berwickshire. He was 29 when he died. The following text comes from there:

"Beaumont-Hamel was attacked and reached on 1 July 1916, but it could not be held. It was attacked again, and this time taken, on 13 November 1916 and the British cemetery (originally titled as 'V Corps Cemetery No.23') was made by units taking part in that and subsequent operations until February 1917. ... The cemetery now contains 179 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 82 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to two casualties known to be buried among them. "
    I assume that Lt Weir is one of the latter two.

There's a death announcement in the Southern Reporter of 23 Nov 1916 that says that he was the headmaster of Channelkirk School, and his parents previously lived in Heriot. There's an obituary on the Falkirk Herald of 25 Nov 1916. He'd been an assistant teacher in Carmuirs School in Falkirk. From thence he went to Dalkeith and then Channelwood. One of his younger brothers had recently been killed, and a third brother was at the front.

The family is in the 1901 census, living at Heriot Schoolhouse. Robert was the eldest, with 4 brothers and a sister. John S (b. 1898) was 4225 Sgt JS Weir of 1st/7th Bn Black Watch who died 21 Jul 1916 and is buried at Danzig Alley British cemetery - this is the Somme. The cemetery contains casualties previously buried in smaller burial grounds.

I can't find a third War death in this family.

If you want to take the genealogy research further back, there's a collection of posts at the top of the Scottish section HERE

Officer records are not online, you have to order the from the National Archives. Is this him?

discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C743058

ADDED: From his medal index card and the actual medal rolls (on ancestry) it seems his original number was 217 and he was a Colour Sergeant in the 6th. He was then commissioned as Lieut to the 8th on 30 Jan 1915.

His Card also shows that his mother Mrs JS Weir applied for his medals and gives an address, so that should help confirm if its the same person.
    Last edited by Jomot1; 08-06-2019 at 7:29 PM. Reason: added info

Details of his death are in the War Diary. If you have ancestry search as follows:

UK, WWI War Diaries (France, Belgium and Germany), 1914-1920
    Under Regiment or Unit select Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)
    Under Division select 51st Division
    Select the first option, Piece 2857/1
    Then go to page 91 of 399

He was commanding 3 Platoon of D Company and was killed by a shell hitting his dugout (which is exactly how my Great Uncle died too)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post

He was commanding 3 Platoon of D Company and was killed by a shell hitting his dugout (which is exactly how my Great Uncle died too)
    Thanks Jomot1 this is the right person and many thanks for your help in my research.

I understood that he was promoted to Lieutenant after his posting to France, but thanks for filling in the detail!

Thank you Lesley for you assistance - it is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DNASearcher View Post
    I understood that he was promoted to Lieutenant after his posting to France, but thanks for filling in the detail!
    Its in the London Gazette, Issue 29053, Page 922

Ive removed the live link, but its towards the bottom, under Infantry

thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29053/page/922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast