Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Sorry, the penny's just dropped.

Yes, his medal card does show he landed 5 Nov 1914, which was when the 1/8 Bn landed. I'll have to see if I can find anything more then, as he's definitely on the 1914 medal roll for the 6th

Hmm
    The war diary of the 1/8 Bn doesn’t mention him being promoted or transferred in, but the ‘Return of Strength’ dated 8 Mar 1915 lists him as 2nd Lieut. My only explanation is that there’s an error in the medal rolls, as there’s a whole batch of them shown as entering a theatre of war 5 Nov 1914, but they’re all listed under the 6th Bn.

UK, WWI War Diaries (France, Belgium and Germany), 1914-1920
    Under Regiment or Unit select Various (Infantry Brigades, 7th Division)
    Under Division select 7th Division
    Scroll down & select Piece 1663: 22 Infantry Brigade
    Then go to page 513 of 529
    (The diary begins on 497)

Default Lieut Robert Weir Royal Scots (Lothian Reg.)

I am so thankful for the advice from everyone and it has helped me focus on Lieutenant Weir particularly where it refers to his death on 16th Nov 1916.

Below is an extract from the War Diary covering the day/evening he was killed - but can anyone decipher the reference used (Q-11.a.70.75 -L Beaumont-Hamel.) - I suspect it is used to identify the location of his remains; is this reference traceable?:

Extract from War Diary November 1916 …

16 Nov 1916 - 2nd Lieutenant H.E.R Jones and 2nd Lieutenant J.C. Taylor joined the Battalion on 14th Inst. And were posted to D and C companies respectively – Draft of 10 other ranks joined from the base – 3 platoon of D company under Lieutenant R Weir went up after dinner, to dugouts in Seaforth trench where they were to remain overnight – they were under the 134 Infantry Brigade for work owing to the failure of the attack on Munich trench, no work was possible.

Lieutenant Weir was killed by a shell striking the dugout in which he was sheltering in Beaumont-Hamel hostile barrage.

Night 17/18th Nov 1916 - It was found impossible to move Lieutenant Weir’s body to a cemetery – he was accordingly left where he was buried – Q-11.a.70.75 -L Beaumont-Hamel. A cross was erected and the grave railed in (filled in?)

Maps aren't my strong point I'm afraid, so the best I can do for you is a map from the Brigade HQ war diary, which shows Q 11 & 12.

On Ancestry select Various (Infantry Brigades, 51st Division) . 51st Division > 2861/1-6 . Page 738 of 807.

If you skip back a good few pages you'll also get a good overview of the entire operation rather than just the Royal Scots part in it.

For something as specific as an exact location you might be better asking on the Great War Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    The family is in the 1901 census, living at Heriot Schoolhouse. Robert was the eldest, with 4 brothers and a sister. John S (b. 1898) was 4225 Sgt JS Weir of 1st/7th Bn Black Watch who died 21 Jul 1916 and is buried at Danzig Alley British cemetery - this is the Somme. The cemetery contains casualties previously buried in smaller burial grounds.
    The details you have about John Stark Weir are correct but I have not been able to find out any more about him beyond he was involved in the relief of the South African troops at Delville Wood in July 1916. Information from the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) reveals that the 8th Bn Black Watch was active then and not 1st/7th. I have not yet been able to find any information in the war diaries relating to the action insofar as John was concerned; but it would be interesting to establish a bit more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12