Question Leslie Wardle dob 1915

Leslie spent some time serving in Palestine, and I assume it was after WWll had ended. He is my son's grandfather. There are no family members alive to ask about his military history. I know he served in Palestine as I remember seeing photos of him with tents in the background and read a typed letter he sent to his wife Thelma. I remember seeing some medals also. His only son, my husband is deceased and very rarely spoke of Leslie as he died when my husband was around 8 in the 1950's. Any pointers would be welcome. Where do I start???????

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection
    The service records for anyone serving in the UK armed forces after 1920 are still held by the MoD. You can apply for them and this 'sticky' explains and gives the link where you can download the application forms.
    You do not need his regiment or service number but do need a copy of his death certificate and be able to provide his birth date. It will cost you 30 pounds and there is quite a long wait before you receive the records.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello OldBird,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Service records for personnel who served after 1921 are still held by the Ministry of Defence.
    Full details of how to apply, including links to the forms to complete, can be found at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757

You will also need to send a cheque for thirty quid, as well as a copy of Leslie's death certificate. If you need a copy the start at
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
    and click 'search historical births and deaths', though you need to register first.
    I think Leslie died in 1957 which means that you could get a PDF copy of the certificate, though I think I'd advised getting a certified copy just in case the army want to get difficult. Couldn't be easier to order - once you've found the record, click the radio button, select 'certificate', and then find your credit card.

Any further questions, do get come back.

Added: As you may have noticed I am a much slower typist than Christina but I'll leave my reply as it is because of the link to the GRO.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

There were 4 Leslie Wardles born in 1915. You can see them on the FreeBMD site. Two of them have middle names. The birth registration area may sort out the one you need.
    Also with the death registration there are three deaths 1957 - 1959. One in 1957 and two in 1958. If you need the death certificate you order them from the GRO

And this time I was slower than you Pam.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

But you were wiser, Christina. I made the fatal mistake of using only the GRO Historical index - forgetting that the deaths index stops in 1957. Me very bad.

OldBird - if your Leslie died after 1957, then as Christina said, use https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    to locate the death registration. Then you'll need to make a note of the reference details before heading over to the GRO site and manually inputting the information.

Apologies for giving slightly dodgy info re a possible death registration for Leslie.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

There are three records in the probate index for a Leslie Wardle in 1958 (all administrations):

Leslie of Smethwick d 6 Nov 1957, widow Lilian
    Leslie of Brixton Hill d 14 Oct 1958, widow Thelma
    Leslie Stuart of Braunstone, d 13 Feb 1958, widow Doris May

As these are administrations granted to the widows it's probably not going to be worth ordering copies of the paperwork, but the index entries on their own may help you work out who's who. (I also checked 1957, but not 1959 or later.)

You can see these for yourself at https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills - the full entries also give exact addresses and places of death, and the dates of the grants and value of the estates.