Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Nunn 25259

Hello
    My great Grandfather was in the Yorkshire Hussars by the name of William Nunn number 25259.

I cant seem to find any information anywhere on him, so if you could help that would be great. He was born in Middlesbrough in 1897 i believe and died in 1955.

I have one of his war medals and im trying to find out what else he accomplished. The only medal i have is the British War Medal which has a different ribbon on indicating he has others.

Can you help?
    Last edited by christanel; 06-06-2019 at 7:33 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary information after moving this post.

Reputation beyond repute

I cant seem to find any information anywhere on him
    Have you looked at the National Archives website and read the advice?

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-after-1913/

There is a medal index card for a William Nunn 25259 but that states he was in the Yorkshire Regiment, not the Yorkshire Hussars.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Brian.
    I have given your post a thread of its own in the WW1 forum. Its title is William Nunn 25295.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the reply. Yes he was in the Yorkshire Hussars, as ive seen pictures of his uniform, however the only information only states he was in the Yorks reg.

Im trying to work out how to find the service record and medal record.

Hi
    William's service record appears to be amongst the 60% plus that were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 as mentioned in The National Archives guide for which Peter gave the link.
    What do survive are the Medal Roll Index cards and the Award and Medal records but these very, very rarely have any personal information.
    You can use the regiment war diaries available on the National Archives site to get some general information about where they served and when but not likely to be any mention of those who aren't of officer class.
    ancestry.com and Findmypast are licenced to make the WW1 service records and Medal Roll Index Cards available online. Both are pay per view sites but both do have free library versions. Your local library may have one of them or you could buy a few credits on FMP or take out a 14 day free trial on either one of them but do remember to untick the auto renew subscription box or you will find your bank card a lot lighter.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks very much.

The medal record is what im most interested in as i believe he is a few missing from his collection

His index card shows that he had the British and Victory medals. If he'd reached the Front in 1914 or1915, he would have also had the 14 or 15 Star.
    As Peter says, the card for 25259 Pte William Nunn shows the Yorkshire Regiment, not the Hussars, but you should remember that men were often moved between regiments, depending on the need.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I was just looking at that, however it looks like on the document he recieved the 15 star medal

Ive not yet purchased the card, but i will later on today

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Ah ive got it now, theres a few William Nunn's on there. I was looking at a different one.

This forum has been fantastic to gain knowledge. Thank you

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

It is also on Ancestry, but individually and in colour. Also the medal rolls.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast