Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Frederick Phillips' parents?

I think I am in the right area to ask a question or 2.
    I am looking for any and all information on John Frederick Phillips' parents.
    John Frederick was born May 6, 1844 in Cornwall, England, died October 2, 1929 in Kinderhook, Michigan. USA
    I know his parents were John Phillips and Elizabeth Roberts
    I believe that John was born around 1820 or so, and Elizabeth the same.
    John and Elizabeth were married April 2, 1842 in St. Austell, Cornwall, England.
    Again, any information or sites to research would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you again for your time.
    Regards,
    Ronye
    researching Phillips and Roberts

Cornwall OPC has John and Elizabeth's marriage which save you having to purchase a marriage certificate. https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/home/

2 April 1842 By Banns
    Reg District - Austell, St.
    Groom John PHILLIPS bachelor
    Age - full
    Groom Residence - St. Austell
    Groom Rank Profession - labourer
    Groom Signed his name
    Groom's Father's Name - John Phillips
    Groom's Father's Rank Profession - labourer
    Bride Elizabeth ROBERTS single No occupation
    Age Full
    Bride Residence St. Mewan
    Bride - Signed
    Bride's Father's Name - Peter Roberts
    Bride's Father's Rank Profession - miner
    Witness 1 John Julyan
    Witness 2 John Perkin

Cyndi's List has " comprehensive, categorized & cross-referenced list of links that point you to genealogical research sites online." Click on Categories on the left and follow through.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Christanel, thank you for the very quick response. I will look at the site that you recommended, hopefully I will be able to put more of the pieces together on the parents of John and Elizabeth.
    Again, thank you so much.
    Regards,
    Ronye

Hi
    I have separated your post about John F Phillips parents and my and your replies and given it a thread of its own in the Cornwall county-wide forum with the title "John Frederick Phillips' parents?" It will get more attention now rather than being tagged onto the end of your Introduce Yourself thread.

By the way if your John Frederick was known as that then he must have added the Frederick later as it does not appear on his birth registration on the GRO index.

he wasn't baptised with the middle name Frederick either.
    2 June 1844
    St Austell, .
    John PHILLIPS
    Father Forename John
    Mother Forename Elizabeth

Christina
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

In case you don't know "OPC" stands for "on line parish clerks" which are volunteers who transcribe parish /church records an essential tool when researching before 1837, which saw the introduction of civil registration of births, marriages and deaths. The one drawback to church records, at least for marriages, is that often there are no parents mentioned.

Cornwall's parish records are also available on pay to view sites such as Find My Past.

Whilst it's not concrete evidence good pointers can be found by searching parishes where ancestors are known to have lived for others with the same name. So for instance a John Phillips was baptised in St. Austell in Sept 1816 the son of William and Ann. If they were the grandparents of your man, there are about 4 marriages to choose from in Cornwall and so I think that you would have to build the wider family tree of siblings etc to identify the correct lineage.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Christina,

I have re-read this post, and realized that you and I have different birth dates for John Phillips.
    My John F. Phillips was born May 6, 1844 and the one you posted was born June 2, 1844.
    As far as him being baptized with the middle name of Frederick, I am not positive that he was, I only know that the name John Frederick is the only name I have ever known for him.
    I do truly appreciate all the information, and the your time for responding.
    Regards,
    Ronye

Quote Originally Posted by Phillips1850 View Post
    Christina,

I have re-read this post, and realized that you and I have different birth dates for John Phillips.
    My John F. Phillips was born May 6, 1844 and the one you posted was born June 2, 1844.
    As far as him being baptized with the middle name of Frederick, I am not positive that he was, I only know that the name John Frederick is the only name I have ever known for him.
    I do truly appreciate all the information, and the your time for responding.
    Regards,
    Ronye
    Hi
    June 2 1844 is his Baptism date.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Christina. I wasn't paying attention to the wording that you used. I appreciate the clarification on the birth and the baptism date.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Megan,

Thank you again for the response. I do know who my John F. Phillips siblings are, and I have searched but am having no luck on the birth or baptism on any of them.
    His siblings are Peter Phillips b. December 1843 St. Austell, Cornwall England, Mary Phillips b. May 1846 St, Austell, Cornwall England. He also had a sister named Susan Hannah Phillips that was born abt. 1849 in Hastings, Ontario and a brother named Josiah Phillips b. 1850-1851 in Hastings, Ontario, Canada. And all of their parents were the same, being John Phillips and Elizabeth Roberts.

General Register Office (GRO) Index

Peter Phillips, birth registered Dec Qtr 1842, Reg. District St Austell, volume 09 Page 10- mother's maiden name Roberts
    Mary Phillips, birth registered Mar Qtr 1846, Reg. District St Austell, volume 09 page 2 - mother's maiden name Roberts
    Mary Phillips, birth registered Mar Qtr, 1846, Reg. District St Austell, volume 09 page 6 - mother's maiden name Roberts
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast