Loves to help with queries

Default 1841 census institution in Shorne, Kent.

Hello,

I have found an ancestor, David Goodhew in the 1841 census at Shorne in Kent. He is located in an 'Institution' but there are no further clues. Can anyone help me identify this institution? Could it have been a workhouse, hospital, prison?? Any help gratefully received`

Thank you.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I can only find one David Goodhew in Shorne in 1841 and he is an Ag Lab aged 20, employed on Queen's Farm by a Farmer named Thomas Solomon. The reference is HO107/462/2/F23/p8

If this is not the Census entry you are refering to, then what Reference do you have?

Emeltee

That is the one I'm looking at (on FamilySearch) but there is no occupation or address, just 'Institution'. Could it be a transcription error? Your information sounds more relevant (and nicer!)

Knowledgeable and helpful

Not sure what familysearch means by Institution but that is the same one I have found and David Goodhew aged 20 is definitely an Ag Lab on Queens Farm. The image can be found on findmypast.

Emeltee

Many thanks for your help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Obviously someone at FamilySearch either issued incorrect instructions or else loads of people pressed the wrong button, because I've checked one of my ancestors in 1841 and he has 'institution' beside the 'Affiliate record type' but it should say 'household'.
    One of the dangers of relying on transcripts, and not looking at the image yourself, is that you can get wrong information. The other danger being that you miss vital information because not all of the record has been transcribed. Both of which have happened with David's record.

Census images for all censuses are available on both FMP and Ancestry, one of which may be available to view free at your local library. Alternatively if you have a LDS Family History Centre nearby, then you can view the images for free there but it's best to book ahead rather than just turn up.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”