Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WW1 CASUALTY LISTS

Can anyone tell me what dates or actions are reflected in the Home Office Casualty List issued on 19th September 1915? I am interested in casualties in the Hooge Action of end July/early August 1915 and in particular the 8th Bn Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Adrian.
    You'll find that we have a lot of helpful members. Indeed, I'm looking forward to the answer to this one as I don't know!

That said, I have been able to trace most of my WW1 casualties through the Commonwealth War Graves database and the newspapers of the time. There was quite a lot of extra information published, as well.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Have you tried the Battalion's War Diaries? They are available on pay per view sites and downloadable from the National Archives at £3.50. They cover the period May 1915 to June 1918. Although they may not identify individual Other Ranks, they may well name officers. And, they will tell you the where and when for the Battalion.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have copies of the war diaries but no mention of him in spite of my having his number, rank and name.
    I know he served with 8th Bn KRRC from Aug 1914 and moved to France with the battalion in May 1915 but have no further details until he appears in a photograph taken at Summerdown recuperation hospital at Southwick in Sussex in November 1915. I do not know what happened to him result in his hospitalisation. I came across mention of his name in the Home Office Casualty List issued on 19th September 1915 which leads me to surmise that he was one of many casualties resulting from the 8th Bn KRRC's heavy involvement the Hooge Action of end July/early August 1915. Hence my trying to find out more about this Casualty List and the period it encompasses which might well confirm my surmise.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have copies of the war diaries but no mention of him in spite of my having his number, rank and name. He survived the war.
    I know he served with 8th Bn KRRC from Aug 1914 and moved to France with the battalion in May 1915 but have no further details until he appears in a photograph taken at Summerdown recuperation hospital at Southwick in Sussex in November 1915. I do not know what happened to him result in his hospitalisation. I came across mention of his name in the Home Office Casualty List issued on 19th September 1915 which leads me to surmise that he was one of many casualties resulting from the 8th Bn KRRC's heavy involvement the Hooge Action of end July/early August 1915. Hence my trying to find out more about this Casualty List and the period it encompasses which might well confirm my surmise.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the published casualty lists were about three to four weeks behind the actual event taking place. Which, considering the numbers involved, would probably be about right.
    Just wish I could remember exactly where I'd read it, then my reply would be more helpful.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

The War Diaries are very useful for finding where they were and what they were doing, but they tend to concentrate on officers if individuals are mentioned at all.

I've just realised that you haven't given us a name. It's much easier to help if we have name, rank and number....

If he recovered from his wounds, he would have been sent back to his regiment unless he was too disabled, in which case he might have had a pension. Some of those records have survived. If he didn't survive, he will be listed on CWGC, even if he's buried in the UK and should also be listed in Soldiers Who Died in the Great War, both available from the commercial genealogy databases. Since he served abroad, he should be listed in the Medal Indexes which sometimes say if someone was KIA or discharged.

Forces War Records (our owners) have a WW1 Military Hospitals database. I THINK it's still a work in progress so probably worth checking back if you don't find your guy at first.

Default Casualty Lists

During the Great War the War Office published a daily list of casualties which included those known to be killed in action,died later from wounds, missing, wounded and later those missing who were now presumed to be dead. The date of the incident is not recorded.
    These lists were picked up by the newspapers and published in national and local newspapers.
    Additionally local newspapers also published a list of names submitted by local residents of men with local connections who had been killed or wounded of local men these were usually published under the heading Roll of Honour or local casualty lists.
    The source usually regarded as the most comprehensive for the War Office lists is the Times Newspaper although a search of the British Newspaper Archive will find most of the bulletins scattered through different newspapers. These are both subscription services but can be accessed free via most public libraries.
    The time it took for a casualty to appear varied from 2 weeks at quickest to 6 weeks at worst mainly depending on the location of death and circumstances of the battalion at that time. This reflected the time it took to compile the records at the front and then be transmitted through the paperwork system to the War Office in London where it was recorded by various clerks before being added to the daily list.
    You can sometimes work out the rough date of death by looking in the casualty list at fellow casualties from a Battalion esp the Officers and then cross checking the war diary (as suggested by Lesley) for any named officer to have been killed or the numbers listed as KIA on that day but it is a rough and ready method which can only be a guide rather than definitive.
    If I have missed anything that you need to know then post again.

Thank you very much. I think I will follow the Times newspaper lead and see where it takes me.

My grandfathers details were Sergeant R (Robert| Leslie) Bailey. He served throughout the Great War with various battalions of the KIngs Royal Rifle Corps and during this period he had THREE personal regimental numbers; A768 from 8 KRRC when he enlisted, B518 which I believe was allocated when he returned to duty after sickness/wounds but which KRRC battalion I know not and finally, C761 which was given during his service with 18 KRRC during the latter days of the war and was used in the London Gazette of March 1919 for his Military Medal at the end of the war although with his original number of A/768. The B518 is a bit of an anomaly as it would appear that the letter was allocated by a sister regiment, Rifle Brigade, although family lore has it he never left KRRC and was only hospitalised once. My current task is trying to find out what happened to him to warrant being returned to Summerdown recuperation hospital at Southwick and apparently being given a second personal number when he returned to duty I know not where, and then what happened to warrant his transfer to 18 KRRC and hence a new number. I fear I will never know but am just seeking any possible threads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast