Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help deciphering handwriting!

Hello!

I'm researching Frederick William Lyndsell (11748, East Surreys) and have been looking through his battalion diaries to track his movements through the war (he signed up 1915, was posted to France just post-Somme in 1916 and died in August 1918). However, I'm totally unable to make out some of the handwriting in his Casualty Form-Active Service record.

It looks like he arrived in Etaples 30.08.16, but the next two entries I don't understand. It looks like 'advance W G Hos & orders' on 07.10.16 and maybe 'joined from hos and holls' 13.10.16. Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?? I believe he was in the 7th Bn East Surreys at that point, if that helps. He was later posted to 1st Bn, same regiment.

There's a few other rows further down that I'm scratching my head on too so if anyone is good at reading copperplate I'd be grateful for your assistance (if that's not too cheeky to ask for)!

Hi again
    I answered this thread https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/93431-Evening! before seeing this one so gave you information you already have.

He joined 17 Sept 1915. Posted to the Expeditionary Force 30 Aug 1916 Private, posted 30 August 1916, posted 15 March 1917, appointed L/Col 1 Sept 1917, KIA L/Col 21 August 1918
    There is a letter from his mother acknowledging receipt of some personal belongings, including a wallet and cards.
    I am trying to decipher the badly written and faded/damaged page of posting/hospitalisations.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The Long Long Trail site may help with WW1 acronyms. here
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I think the 2nd line beginning "7.10.16" reads "Adm 24 G Hos + Orders(?)"

There was a "24 General Hospital at Etaples". Check out British Base Hospitals under Long Long Trail.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi again
    I answered this thread https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/93431-Evening! before seeing this one so gave you information you already have.

He joined 17 Sept 1915. Posted to the Expeditionary Force 30 Aug 1916 Private, posted 30 August 1916, posted 15 March 1917, appointed L/Col 1 Sept 1917, KIA L/Col 21 August 1918
    There is a letter from his mother acknowledging receipt of some personal belongings, including a wallet and cards.
    I am trying to decipher the badly written and faded/damaged page of posting/hospitalisations.
    Christina
    Yeh, and a poignant note from his dad asking that they correct the record as he died a Lance Cpl not a Private.

It's the badly written page I'm stuck on too!

13. 10.16, ….,Joined from Hos + ?
    ----------, …, Posted to 1st Bn?
    12.5.17, ……, Wounded ……..
    20.8.17, ……, Adm. Pediculosis ( …….)
    ?.9.17, …….., App. ……… lance Corpl

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    I think the 2nd line beginning "7.10.16" reads "Adm 24 G Hos + Orders(?)"

There was a "24 General Hospital at Etaples". Check out British Base Hospitals under Long Long Trail.
    Oh, that's interesting. He must have been sick as I think he was wounded twice (a photo of him 1 month before he was killed has 2 wound stripes) and I believe both were from 1917- wounded at duty and then gunshot wound, face are both listed on the same record.

If you're right then he arrived in France and joined the 7th Bn on 30.08.16 but returned to the IBD to go to hospital 07.10.16-13.10.16? Would it be usual to go back to Etaples for sickness (he was serving around Arras I think at that time)? Or might he still have been at the base and hadn't yet been posted to the front?

Thanks for confirming "Wounded @ duty". I thought it was "@ duty" but didn't commit tp print!!

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    13. 10.16, ….,Joined from Hos + ?
    ----------, …, Posted to 1st Bn?
    12.5.17, ……, Wounded ……..
    20.8.17, ……, Adm. Pediculosis ( …….)
    ?.9.17, …….., App. ……… lance Corpl
    I think it says
    13.10.16 joined from Hos + orders
    Posted to 1st Bn - date on the right hand column suggests this was 15.03.17
    12.05.17 wounded at duty

06.09.17 Apptd paid lance corpl
    ^ all of those link up with either the typed page of his records or the Bn rolls which I've checked too.

Pediculosis? Apparently that means lice infestation! Grim but obviously very possible as at that point he'd been rotating in and out of the front line for a while. Thanks for making sense of that word, it's been bugging me (pardon the pun). Any idea what the bit in brackets says? Looks maybe like (C or G Dq3bq).

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsell View Post
    Yeh, and a poignant note from his dad asking that they correct the record as he died a Lance Cpl not a Private.

It's the badly written page I'm stuck on too!
    Hi

In WW1 the rank Lance Corporal was as appointment, not an official rank. see - https://www.anzacsinfrance.com/ranks/ and https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/sold...the-great-war/
    So his actual rank was Private as recorded (silly I know!)
    In WW2 it was an actual rank.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast