Starting to feel at home

Default Gosport and Alverstoke

I realise that Gosport and Alverstoke are close, but I am not clear about the division in terms of where people would have said they lived. I am trying to decide if these people are the same family:

Richard White "of Horton in the Parish of Alverstoke" had a son Richard, and a grandson Richard. This from his will, proved in 1812. (His wife was Elizabeth, and he had a daughter Elizabeth, still described by her maiden name in the will.)

I am fairly confident his son Richard married Susannah Adams Allison in Dartmouth, Devon, and had the first child, Richard, there, and another 11 children, all christened in Holy Trinity, Gosport from 1796 to 1815.

I'm really trying to determine whether a marriage in 1815 in Alverstoke of a Susannah White (a minor), daughter of Richard White, is the oldest of these Gosport children. If so, although her brother was baptised in the same year in Gosport, and newspaper articles related to bankruptcy around this time describe her father as Richard White "of Gosport", she is described as being of the Parish of Alverstoke in the marriage register. Would that make sense? Looking on Family Search, I can't find any children of a Richard White born in Alverstoke in the period in question, and only this one Susannah (daughter of Richard White and Susannah) born in Gosport. Of course that doesn't mean the Susannah White getting married didn't move into the area from somewhere else.

I have only been able to trace 3 sons of the 12 children, but I don't want to make assumptions about other members of the family without reliable information...

Opinions would be appreciated!

Nikki

Reputation beyond repute

Gosport was a chapelry within the parish of Averstoke.

Did you mean Horton or Forton?

If I were you I would bookmark GenUKI

Starting to feel at home

So in that case it would be reasonable to assume that Susannah, daughter of Richard, baptised at Gosport, is the same Susannah, daughter of Richard, living in Alverstoke parish?

I was reading it as Horton from the handwritten will which has a difficult to read script. I remember researching that before although I can’t remember what conclusion I came to.

I’ll have a look at GenUKI, thanks. My ancestors ended up in South Africa from all over and my UK research has mostly been using the census data from 1841 onwards. This family is proving trickier without that tool to rely on!

Growing old Disgracefully

I have found Baptisms for 6 children at Holy Trinity,Gosport,Hampshire,England Parents Richard White and
    Susannah Adams Allison

Richard 30 Sept 1794
    Susanna 13 June 1796
    William 26 Aug 1799
    Joseph 16 Nov 1804
    Charlotte 6 July 1808
    Fanny17 Jan 1810

Growing old Disgracefully

l also found this
    Name: Richard White
    Marriage Date: 13 Sep 1787
    Marriage Place: Holy Trinity,Gosport,Hampshire,England
    Spouse: Elizabeth Mc Kenley

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Nikki
    If you go onto www.curiousfox.com, there is an "old maps" function which will give you access to various 19th-century maps. They're not quite as old as 1812 but they clearly show Gosport and Alverstoke. These days, the town is called Gosport and Alverstoke is just one district within it. In the 19th century, they were still separate villages. Gosport was is now the town centre running down to Portsmouth Harbour; Alverstoke was located to the west of that, laying along the shores of the Solent and taking in a number of farms inland.
    My family came from Gosport/Alverstoke so let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you.

Kind regards
    Angela