Default Margaret Keefe born in Cork about 1837

Just returning to my Irish research and am stuck.

My great grandmother was Margaret Keefe. Her parents Daniel and Catherine.
    Only one census entry in London which gives birth about 1837 in Cork.
    Have searched the online lists but nothing matches. No birth to these parents and no marriage of the parents.

clutching at straws there was a person of the right age and name in Wales in 1851 who showed a birthplace which appears to be Coolcour, Co. Cork.
    but that produced no results either. I gave up on this family many years ago but thought I would have another go now.

Any suggestions please. Ed
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed McKie View Post
    Just returning to my Irish research and am stuck.

My great grandmother was Margaret Keefe. Her parents Daniel and Catherine.
    Come on Ed. You can do better than this.
    Is Keefe her maiden name or married name?
    Where did you get her parents names from?

Only one census entry in London which gives birth about 1837 in Cork.
    Which year? Census reference?
    Have searched the online lists but nothing matches. No birth to these parents and no marriage of the parents.
    Which lists, exactly? Waste of time searching them too unless someone knows a trick re searching.

clutching at straws there was a person of the right age and name in Wales in 1851 who showed a birthplace which appears to be Coolcour, Co. Cork. but that produced no results either.
    Census reference?
    I gave up on this family many years ago but thought I would have another go now.

Any suggestions please. Ed
    I'm not being horrible, I have tried looking in 1851 and 1861 without any success on both FMP and Ancestry.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default Margaret keefe

Thanks for the reply Pam, but didn't think the UK census details were relevant.

Of course I am looking for Margaret Keefe, as was, as they say in these parts?

Father's name from marriage cert.
    Mother was living with her and her husband Henry Worsfold on 1871 .

Family not traceable on 1861. They were living in Foxes buildings, Southwark at time of 1861 census, schedule missing from the records according to OPCS who had them when I asked about twenty odd years ago.
    1851 is before marriage.

Cheers. Ed
    www.jeaned.net

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Speaking from personal experience , Ed, sometimes there's a tiny clue in a document which you miss, so I always think that a second pair of eyes having a look is a good idea.
    So, given the extra infirmation, and not being one to give up easily I went to look for Margaret and Henry in 1871. Initially I could only find one, but no mother-in-law with them, so had to dig a little deeper to find Margarete with an 'e' at the end, aged 36. RG11/632 folio 18 page 33.

Catherine is 56, and just says born Ireland, so you might have to (if you haven't already) consider looking in the whole of Ireland for her marriage to Daniel, not just County Cork.

Meanwhile, you might want to consider census reference HO107/1508 folio 86 page 35 in the 1851 census. Transcribed on FMP as Kufe. I know Katherin's and Margaret's birthplaces don't say Ireland but considering the general mess the enumerator has made of the entry he could have entered those details incorrectly. Apart from trying (without success) to find a suitable death for Daniel I haven't pursued this family further.
    Possible surname variants to bear in mind are Keafe and Keiffe/Keife.

Also, it is possible that Catherine was Daniel's second wife, and not actually the mother of Margaret?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Ed
    There is a baptism of Margaret Keeffe on 19 Mar 1826 to Daniel Keeffe and Catherine Leahy in Kilmurry, cork if there is any likelihood that the birthdate is wrong.
    FMP has a marriage of Daniel Kieffe and Catharine Fudge in Cobh, Cork in 1823. Genuki Gazetteer gives possible Coolmore as a nearby town. If that is not the right marriage, maybe you need to be more aware of the way difficult Irish names are transcribed in England.
    Also for civil parish Coole, the Roman Catholic parish is likely to be Castlelyons and for Cooliney it is Ballylea. When anglicised maybe Coolcour could be Kilcur which is near Coole? This link gives you the places where Keefe baptisms are found and they link to FMP https://www.johngrenham.com/surnames...arch_type=full

There is a family of Daniel Keefe and Catherine Breen who had a son Patrick baptised in 1831 in Coole. If you know any of her siblings, you might be able to track it through them?

My apologies to you all who have looked at this thread and spent time on it. Margaret's father was Charles not Daniel!
    I had been browsing the Irish indexes on anc and decided to knock off that post without going back to my tree so spoke from a clearly defective memory. I am now going to lie down in a darkened Room for a week or so.

Cheers. Ed
    www.jeaned.net