Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Thomas Pinder Parkinson

Help wanted please! Looking for a death record for Thomas Pinder Parkinson (Pinder was a middle name). Thomas was born 27 Oct 1913 in India (son of a British soldier) and married Ruth Yvonne Cameron-Dow in Cape Town 5 Oct 1946, Ruth was born Cape Provence in 1928. They had a son born 1948 in South Africa and a daughter born 1950 in Nyasaland/Malawi.
    Trying to find a death record for Thomas Pinder Parkinson, and possibly Ruth Yvonne Parkinson. Thomas possibly remarried to a Mary who died 2009.
    Colin Parkinson
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 12-05-2019 at 9:31 PM. Reason: Details of possibly living people removed

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Colin,

Our T&Cs forbid personal details of living people being given so I have removed them.

I know that research in South Africa is a bit of a challenge. Have you seen the three 'stickies' at the top of the forum, and followed the links and advice given?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

You may already have this..Its not what you asked for but might be of interest if you havent seen it before.

BT 395 - Registry of Shipping and Seamen: Database of World War II Medals issued to Merchant Seamen
    Medal listing of Parkinson, Thomas Pinder
    Discharge number R149215
    Date of Birth 27 October 1913
    Date [1946-2002]
    The National Archives, Kew
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D4352958

Famous for offering help & advice

'Yvonne' is spelt strangely on the marriage document, it looks like Evan, and she appears to sign as E R Cameron-Dow

..... not that this helps with your quest .....

Thank you for the replies. I had checked the 'stickies' before posting my enquiry. They do look very informative but I don't think they are indexed? As I don't know when/where Thomas Pinder Parkinson or Ruth Yvonne Parkinson died the mass of downloads looked like the needle in a haystack. I hoped someone might have 'local knowledge' of Southern African genealogy and this might help. Incidentally I searched on all the well known Genealogical sites.
    Yes, on the marriage certificate it shows bride as Even which I assume is a South African version of Yvonne. Mother & daughter appear on a couple of shipping records in the early 1950's and her name is shown as Yvonne. However I believe later in life she was referred to as Ruth.
    Thank you for the medal record on the National Archives, Thomas was a marine engineer/merchant seaman, this is what probably took him to Southern Africa where he met his bride?
    I appreciate the help given so far.
    Colin Parkinson

I expect you are aware of a couple of other Cameron-Dow marriages in South Africa - Pamela in 1944 and Maria in 1952.

Wimsey,
    Thank you. I haven't come across Pamela's marriage in 1944 and Maria's in 1952. May I ask where you found these? I found the Thomas Pinder Parkinson & Even Ruth Cameron-Dow's marriage following a Google search that took me to the very useful British 1820 Settlers in South Africa site.
    Thanks
    Colin

I found those on FindMyPast (FMP) though they might be on other sites.

Pamela E Cameron-Dow to James H Bradshaw at Wynberg
    Maria R M Cameron-Dow to Joseph GHIRXI (which looks like a random jumble of letters, but thats what it says) at Maitland

Pamela's marriage is on FamilySearch with image. James Henry Bradshaw born 1909 England, Pamela Eve Cameron-Dow born 1925.

Looks to me that Joseph & Maria had a daughter born Bulawayo in 1953.

a female Bradshaw was born 1947, Barton, Lancashire with mother's maiden name Cameron-Dow.

wimsey,
    Thank you for your help. I think the Cameron-Dow name arose early 1900's, an amalgamation of Cameron & Dow. I suspect all Cameron-Dow's are related some how but I am particularly interested in the death dates for Thomas Pinder Parkinson (born 1913) and Ruth Yvonne Parkinson (nee Cameron-Dow, born 1928).
    Colin Parkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast