Settling in

Default Is it unusual to have two separate death cert

Two Scriven Brothers had sons which they both named Charles Edwin.
    Before the GRO allowed the searching of the birth & death index, I had the following from FreeBMD
    The first was born in 1844, the second in 1846

The first was son of my Great Grandfather George Scriven & Great Grandmother Mary maiden surname Elkington

Births Dec 1844 Scriven Charles Edwin
    Daventry 15 236

The second was son of my Great Uncle John Scriven & Elizabeth maiden surname Saville

Births Jun 1846 Scriven Charles Edwin
    Shardlow 19 659

Then, these two indexes looked as if both boys had died in the same quarter.

Deaths Jun 1847
    Scriven Charles Edwin
    Daventry 15 178
    Scriven Charles Edwin
    Daventry 15 182

When the GRO started the searching of their indexes I got these for the birth of the two boys which confirmed the mother’s maiden names.

SCRIVEN, CHARLES EDWIN ELKINGTON
    GRO Reference: 1844 D Quarter in DAVENTRY UNION Volume 15 Page 236

SCRIVEN, CHARLES EDWIN SAVILLE
    GRO Reference: 1846 J Quarter in SHARDLOW UNION Volume 19 Page 659

All well and good until I search for their death index and got this

SCRIVEN, CHARLES EDWIN 0
    GRO Reference: 1847 M Quarter in DAVENTRY Volume 15 Page 208

SCRIVEN, CHARLES EDWIN 0
    GRO Reference: 1847 J Quarter in DAVENTRY Volume 15 Page 182

As there was no census or any other record that I could find for them I assumed both boys had died, however this meant there was a mistake in the transcription of the age of the older boy, so I submitted an error to the GRO

Report Type: Error in the death index Date Submitted: 09 Feb 2018 19:03
    Name: Charles Edwin Scriven Age at Death:

And got this back

Current Status: Investigated - No amendment required
    GRO Index Reference: 1847 J Daventry 15 182
    GRO Comments: Indexed data is correct.

I purchased pdf’s of the birth & death certificates, the two birth certificates gave me more detail and no problems

The two death certificates revealed that they were for the same boy.

It appears that the first death certificate was not certified, this resulted in the coroner issuing a second death certificate.

I have searched the newspapers and have not yet found and inquest reports.

Two things I don’t understand
    1 At the end of the first certificate it says ‘ for the correct entry of tis death see No 413’ The second certificate is numbered 457
    2 For one of the registration index numbers which 15 176 the GRO gives no result yet has a reference as 15 208 see below

SCRIVEN, CHARLES EDWIN 0
    GRO Reference: 1847 M Quarter in DAVENTRY Volume 15 Page 208

SCRIVEN, CHARLES EDWIN 0
    GRO Reference: 1847 J Quarter in DAVENTRY Volume 15 Page 182

I have found no records of the first child born in 1844 other than his birth certificate.

Any comments would be welcome.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I have found no records of the first child born in 1844 other than his birth certificate.
    Were his parents living in Daventry registraton district in the 1851 census? And where any other children born between 1844 and 1851 also born in Daventry registraion district?
    If so search on FreeBMD for possible death registrations 1844-June quarter 1851, Daventry registration district.
    Search surname only, first name only, first two names only,second name only, use Elkington as a surname. Look for anything that might possibly be relevant. Ages can then be confirmed by checking with the GRO Historical deaths index.

A month ago I found a birth registration for the same name as my grandfather, but this one was registered in 1895, and I know granddad was born in 1900. The GRO Historical births index revealed that the mother's maiden name was the same of my grandfather so it was obviously the same family. No death registration though. I eventually found one for a Charles, same surname, right age. Sent for both certificates. Thomas born 15 September. Died 30 October, registered on death certificate as Charles.

Bear in mind that FreeBMD is not yet guaranteed 100% entries from the indexes 1837-1900, but it is useful for doing searches such as I've described. You could also do the same search on FMP (or Ancestry, though personally I would never their index) which have the same GRO indexes but I find FreeBMD much easier to use.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Hi Pam
    Thank you very much for your tips and comments, although I have carried out the searches as you suggested I have had no luck yet, but you have shown me that doing wider searches could give results and I shall bear that in mind on other problems.
    Colin.