Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Hello again

I spent a couple of hours going through all the responses, looking up the images for the baptism and censuses. Once again thanks for the links and comments, really appreciated.

I have decided at the moment to change Jane's name to PUTMAN in the family tree with a note that this is an assumption as there are no instances of the surname Puthin on the web.
    My wife and I are going to our daughter's home in Melbourne on Saturday so I will be taking all my findings and your responses with me. In the quiet moments when the grandchildren are in school I'll compose a summary of assumptions to input into my tree. But for the time being this maternal line will be identified as a brick wall.
    On the1851 census return for John he was a bricklayer. Is it realistic that Jane got that confused with Blacksmith when she married in 1876. After all she was a young girl when John died in 1858 (if that was her father).
    David

1851 Census ref HO107 1658 81 3

James Puttenham, Head, Marr, 26, labourer, born Herts
    Martha Puttenham, Wife, Marr, 22, born Portsea
    Jane Puttenham, Dau, 6, born Portsea
    John Puttenham, Son, 9 months, born Portsea

There's a death registration for a John Puttenham, Portsea, Sep Qtr 1854, 2b 238 - age 29.

Again, drawing a blank for birth/baptism under the name Puttenham (and similar) for Jane, age 6.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The one thing that I am concerned about is the change of John's occupations. Blackmithing would tend to dominate the home (normally attached to the smithy) because of the noise and smells, etc and it's hard to imagine someone confusing that with the relatively quiet bricklaying... However, if he gave it up when fairly young, he might have changed trades.

It might be worth checking Trade Directories in the Leicester area to see what blacksmiths there were, and what their names were since we're still slightly uncertain of the spelling of the surname.

PS I have done a quick search of Ancestry's Trade Directories and can't find a John Putnam, blacksmith, anywhere in Leicestershire. There's a number of Johns, no Putnams.

Jane Read's Census year of birth is consistent in 1881 and 1891 (1852) but by 1901 has become 1859 - but PoB consistently Portsea. The 1859 YoB is a far cry from the 6yr old Jane with Martha Puttenham in the '51 Census - a difference of 14 years (not impossible - my grandmother shaved 14 years off her age in the 1911 Census after marrying a younger man)

The only tentative (very!) link I can spot between Jane Read and Martha Putman is "occupation". In '61 Martha is a "Laundress" and Jane enjoys the same occupation in '81.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

I can't see where anyone has suggested a marriage date for James PUTTENHAM etc & Martha JACKSON. But in 1851 Martha is 22 and Jane 6 - was Jane born before marriage, and is therefore the Jane Sarah JACKSON born Q3 1845 Portsea 7 109, with no mothers maiden name listed on the GRO index?

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Jane Read's Census year of birth is consistent in 1881 and 1891 (1852) but by 1901 has become 1859 - but PoB consistently Portsea. The 1859 YoB is a far cry from the 6yr old Jane with Martha Puttenham in the '51 Census - a difference of 14 years (not impossible - my grandmother shaved 14 years off her age in the 1911 Census after marrying a younger man)

The only tentative (very!) link I can spot between Jane Read and Martha Putman is "occupation". In '61 Martha is a "Laundress" and Jane enjoys the same occupation in '81.
    I confess that I had wondered if there was a link with those occupateions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    I can't see where anyone has suggested a marriage date for James PUTTENHAM etc & Martha JACKSON. But in 1851 Martha is 22 and Jane 6 - was Jane born before marriage, and is therefore the Jane Sarah JACKSON born Q3 1845 Portsea 7 109, with no mothers maiden name listed on the GRO index?
    An interesting thought. However I tend to agree with Lesley's comment above regarding Jane's father's occupation changing from Blacksmith to either a labourer or a bricklayer.
    I've scratching my head over Jane's parents for some weeks now - it is making me go even balder than I am.

And as I said earlier I really appreciate all the effort people are taking on my behalf.

Thanks
    David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12