Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Can anyone find Jane Puthim?

I have just received the marriage certificate for ................................

John READ (21) to Jane PUTHIM (26) in 1876, Leicester Register Office.She made her mark.

Her father was recorded as John PUTHIM (deceased) a Blacksmith.
    I cannot find any record for her or her father on FMP or FreeBMD

It is possible that her maiden name was PUTMAN as the READ children have that name on the GRO and one of her sons had that name as his second christian name. And I have a birth certificate for one of her other children quoting the mother's name as Jane READ (formerly PUTMAN)

But I cannot find a Jane PUTMAN born around 1850 whose father was John, I can find a Thomas PUTMAN with a daughter named Jane.

Is this a case of Jane's name being incorrectly misheard because of her accent? But where is her father John?

I'm going round in circles so am seeking some clear thinkers to help solve this problem.

Thanks
    David

In the 1881 - 1911 census records her birth place was recorded as Portsea, Hampshire.

Famous for offering help & advice

freebmd has Jane PUTMAN Q1 1854 Portsea (mmn LAMBERT on GRO).

Any good?

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

David,
    From familysearch,could this be Jane?
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFDF-2QS
    Maybe her father died and her mother re-married!
    Eric

Baptism (FMP image)

Holy Trinity, Southampton
    Jane Puttman, born June 1849, bap 29 July 1869, parents Edward and Martha, abode 7 Gardiner Buildings, father's occpn. shoemaker
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Martha Putman and Edward Ralph 1861 Census

RG09 Piece 636 Folio 41 Page 28

GRO Death Registration
    John Putman, Sep Qtr 1858, Portsea Island, 28 211 - age79

The information about dead people on certificates gets less accurate as the time between the event and the death gets longer. My Great Uncle got his mother's forename wrong on his father's death cert, probably because she had died when he was young, and probably only knew her by one of the variations on Mother. His father was the last of his generation to die. Add the flexibility of name spelling before WW1, and there's also confusion.

I've tried searching the 1851 and 1861 census for Putnam/Pitnam/Puthim with Ancestry's "exact, similar & soundex" allowed and "blacksmith" (because family are more likely to remember such an occupation -it dominates the home) or "smith" in the keywords and nothing turned up. Of curse, he could have been away or dead on census night.

Brick wall demolition expert!

The 1871 census referred to by Eric (Warncoort) in post #3 [piece 1131 folio 29 page 16] is interesting in that it raises many questions.

I can’t find a marriage between Edward and Martha.
    Most of the time “Ralfe” seems to have been spelt “Ralph”, and that is how the children’s births were registered, and there the mother’s maiden name is given as Jackson.
    In the 1881 census he is shown as “Edwin Ralph” and a widower and that’s how he appears thereafter. He was a labourer.

It is possible that Jane’s birth was never registered, and certainly searching the birth index it would appear to be the case. If you do an exact surname search on FMP all records for PUTHIM, the only result you get is her marriage, suggesting that there are no people with that surname.

Looking at the 1871 census referred to above, there are two other Putnam children: John born 1851 – his birth was registered on Portsea Island in 1850 and the mother’s maiden name was Jackson and Harriet in 1855 for whom I can find no birth registration. Perhaps the girls didn’t count! As a long shot may be you should think about getting John’s birth certificate to see what that says (1850 quarter July Volume 7 Page 179).

However I also think that there may have been a lot “constructive ambiguity” about their ages! In the 1861 Census Martha PUTMAN appears as a 37 year old widow with 3 children (excluding Jane) and a 28 year old boarder, Edward Ralph. By the next census Edward’s age 11 years and she 3. [1861 census piece 636 folio 41 page 28].

By the way 1869 baptism that helachau found in post #4 was probably required to allow her to go into service.

This could be the 1858 John Putnam GRO death registration
    1851 Census HO107 1657 573 40

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hello everyone
    Many thanks for you taking the time to help solve my puzzle.
    I have printed all the above posts and will be going through carefully after lunch today. And I will let you know the result.
    Kind regards
    David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast