Default Address/Name Check

Is there any way I can find out who was living at this address in 1922?

1 Raleigh Street, Windsor, Victoria

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

The electoral rolls for the period are available but,from memory,can only be searched by family name.

Quote Originally Posted by warncoort View Post
    The electoral rolls for the period are available but,from memory,can only be searched by family name.
    Thanks for reply.

I only have a nickname 'Mac' so searching on surname is a problem! Do you know how the electoral rolls for Australia are accessible from the UK? I also have an address for the same person in 1945 so that may be a better option.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi, sometimes names and address can be found in the online newspapers [Trove]

For instance i found this one..

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957)
    Sat 20 Jul 1929

RAPKE - On the 19th July, at 1 Raleigh street, Windsor, Pearl, the dearly beloved wife of Nathan Rapke, loving mother of Abe, Ada (Mrs J B Lewis), Rose (Mrs Reuben Isaacs), Gus and David, aged 68 years. (Minyan Sunday,Monday Tuesday Wednesday and Thursdayevenings at above address at 8 o'clock.)
    May her dear soul rest in peace

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4022948

There are a few more articles in Trove for that address. All i entered in was 1 Raleigh Street Windsor in the "The phrase" section.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y

Thanks for the links to trove - I will give it a go.

A fountain of knowledge

The usual place to check addresses is in the Sands & McDougall Post Office Directories, which lists alphabetically and also by suburb and street. The State Library of Victoria has these digitised at five year intervals, so you won't get 1922 precisely, but you would get 1920 or 1925. www.slv.org.au They were, however, an annual series up to 1974, and with a bit of luck you might find a set in a genie library somewhere near you. Maybe.

Thank you for the link to SLV. They have been very helpful and provided me with the information I needed.