Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Default Revd Alfred Barrett

I have the Revd Barrett in 1871 at 12 Warwick Road Stamford Hill Hackney. He was a Retired Wesleyan Methodist Minister who had I believe been at Richmond College in London some years previously.
    From the Census records it would seem that he was running some sort of educational establishment for young ladies; there were some 16 living at the premises, mostly denoted as scholars but one, Ann C May noted as a pupil.
    I am wondering what sort of establishment this was. Was it related to the Methodist Church or was it some private enterprise run by the Revd Barrett?
    The girls were from various parts of the country and Ann May was from a Methodist family living in Bristol.

Any information re the Reverend gentleman and his "school" would be greatly appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice

I can't tell you much, but I found a newspaper death notice from April 1879 referring to Annie, 3rd daughter of the late Reverend Alfred Barrett, with the address given as Stonard House, Stamford Hill. Alfred's death may be the one in Dec qtr 1876, Hackney district, age 68 (from FreeBMD).

There were also a few articles referring to a school at Stonard House, with a Miss Barrett possibly the head, and an obituary for Alfred's widow, Elizabeth, from May 1892.

Reputation beyond repute

1881 Census - Stonard House; Ladies School; Elizabeth Barrett, widow; schoolmistress.

In 1873 Stonard House was up for sale (leasehold) - need to check this - the date doesn't really fit.

Alfred gets a few mentions in "The Life of Hugh Price Hughes" - I haven't checked them thoroughly, but I think it says HPH was at Richmond College and later married one of his daughters. Full text at archive.org:
    Code:
    https://archive.org/details/lifehughpricehu00huggoog/page/n11
    (I found more Barrett references by Search Inside than are in the index at the back.)

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    Alfred's death may be the one in Dec qtr 1876, Hackney district, age 68 (from FreeBMD).
    That's him - death notice Hackney and Kingsland Gazette, 30 Oct 1876.
    I had hoped this newspaper would yield more but, on line, it only starts from the year 1869. The Rev. is mentioned in the 26 July 1871 edition -

"Wesleyan Doings" - At the conference of the Wesleyan Methodist Society at Manchester - the following are among the Ministerial appointments as they refer to our immediate district - the list, however, is liable to revision -
    ……..
    6. Hackney, &c - John V B Shrewsbury, Walford Green; W G Dickin, Edward Burton, Richard Tabrain, Alfred Barrett, James Sutch, supernumary"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Officiating at a Wesleyan marriage -

Illustrated London News, 6 July 1867
    "MARRIAGES
    On the 2nd inst., at the Wesleyan Chapel, Clapton, by the Rev. Alfred Barrett, Governor of the Wesleyan Theological Institution, Richmond …"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

the "Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological & Ecclesiastical Literature" by John McClintock appears to have an entry for Alfred Barrett, but whether or not it mentions the Warwick Road establishment I wouldn't like to say. An 1892 newspaper obituary of his widow only says that he had been Governor of Richmond Theological College - as already mentioned.

A fountain of knowledge

Not sure if you have these or not. I had already used my free searches up so the below is the indexes i could get. If you register with the British Newspaper Archives you can get 3 free searches and be able to get the whole of the articles up.
    https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Published: Saturday 04 November 1876
    Newspaper: Belfast News-Letter
    The death is announced of Rev. Alfred Barrett. Mr. Barrett entered the ministry in 1832, and f laboured with great acceptance and success until failing health, about ...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Newspaper: Bedfordshire Mercury
    County: Bedfordshire, England
    The late Rev. A. Barrett.—Our obituary announces the death of the Rev. Alfred Barrett, Wesleyan minister well-known Bedford, a son-inlaw of Mr Howard, of Caldwell House, and the father Mrs Nutter, of Caldwell ...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Newspaper: Grantham Journal
    County: Lincolnshire, England
    The Rev. Alfred Barrett.—Wo have to announce the death of tho Rev. Alfred Barrett (brother of Mr. A. Y. Barrett, of this town), which took place on October at his residence ...