Starting to feel at home

Default Anyone heard of C S August?

I have a very bad photocopy of a photo said to be taken by C S August. The photo is of a residence in Suffolk. I cannot find anything online regarding this photographer. There is the Early Photographers website which lists photographers in the East Anglia region but this person is not listed. The name is printed on the bottom of the photo.

I assume that you have a rough idea of when the photo was taken?
    You could look at trade directories (there’s a collection of them on one of the University websites - Leicester? Birmingham?
    Also newspapers.
    If you’re talking about pre-WW1, some opticians included photography (including cameras) among their stock. There were also roaming photographers who would visit a village or town and get paid by businesses to take photos for postcards.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Lesley I've tried the BNA and Ancestry to see if I could find the person. I guess the photo could have been taken from the 1860's onwards.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You give no clue as to how old the photo might be, so I searched FreeBMD for births for C* August born 1840-1973.
    There's a Charles Sydney born Portsea registration district 1879, married Selina Keene Portsmouth registration district 1903, and from his occupation in the 1939 Register he's unlikely to be your man.

No other C. S. births, male of female in that time span.

There's an additional C S in marriages - Charles Simmonds August who married Jane Emma Dunstan in Fulham registration district in 1895 but the parish register says he's a 20-year old bricklayer. He may have changed occupations, but I haven't checked him out.

Searching for C S deaths throws up a Charles S August death registration in Hartismere registration district in 1945. He's aged 65, so born circa 1880.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/hartismere.html
    Nothing in the Probate Index for 1945/1946 to further identify him.

The only C S showing in the 1939 Register is the one born in 1879. There is a Sydney born 1881 living in Sheppey registration district but his occupation seems to rule him out.

Depending on how much you want to find out about C S August (I'm presuming that it is unmistakeably a C and an S) you could send for a PDF copy of his death certificate which will cost you seven quid. That should tell you his occupation. Find the entry in the Historical Deaths index, and then click the relevant buttons.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Otherwise check out the Historical Directories website https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/d...on/p16445coll4

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

An all-census check on Anc with just surname=August and keyword = photographer gave nothing...

An all-newspaper hunt for CS August, photographer, Suffolk gave nothing.

There is a WW1 medal index card for 31517 Charles S August of the Royal Engineers, got to France in 1915. No other info.

Is there any possible indicator of time in the photo? Long skirts, bicycles, anything? What is the subject? Is it a postcard-type photo? I note that you say "said to be by" - does that mean that his name is not printed on the photo?

Without more information, I can't see anywhere else to look that would be useful.