Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Cigar Maker's in the East End

Hi. I am looking for any info on Cigar Makers around 1800 - 1900 especially in the east end of London, Spitalfields, Mile End area's. I have several family members that were just that. Mainly Jewish, starting with Joseph Kroesen and most of his children followed on. A lot of them were women within the Kroesen family. Jettje Kroesen was one as were most of her sisters, Adelaide, Lily. Leah and others. All from 1881 onwards as found in the census. Thanks. Jeff Osborne

Famous for offering help & advice

If you Google 'My Ancestor was a Chut' there's quite an interesting blog about Jewish/Dutch Cigar Makers

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Jeff, your post is a little unclear. (At least to me.)

Are you looking for companies that made cigars.

Anybody who worked for one of those companies.

Or details, other than census ones, about those relatives of yours who worked there.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Default DUTCH CIGAR MAKERS IN LONDON

Jeff
    See JewishGen KehilaLinks Amsterdam Netherlands.19th Century London:A Primary attraction for Ashkenazi Dutch Immigration. Aubrey Jacobus 2014 (online). This will give you a good overview which includes why Dutch Jewish immigrants moved to London and many worked in the cigar trade. Some of my related lines were cigar makers and at least one was a major employer in the London trade.
    Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Starting to feel at home

Hi Jomot1. Thanks for the lead, will look it up and see where it goes.

Starting to feel at home

Hi again Pam. As a lot of my family were cigar makers I am really trying to find where they worked. For a company or at home for themselves, and why my lot immigrated from Holland to England in the first place? If I can get a list of old cigar companies maybe they may have records of old employees? As much info on the subject as I can get really? Thanks Pam for your interest.

Starting to feel at home

Hi again Phillip. As always such wonderfull info and leads. Really appreciate it. I will follow as you suggested, looks like exactly what I am after. Thanks again.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by coachcaptain View Post
    Hi again Pam. As a lot of my family were cigar makers I am really trying to find where they worked. For a company or at home for themselves, and why my lot immigrated from Holland to England in the first place? If I can get a list of old cigar companies maybe they may have records of old employees? As much info on the subject as I can get really? Thanks Pam for your interest.
    Try the Historical Directories site first. Don't forget Middlesex as well as London, and if you're talking south of the river, you may well need Surrey and possibly even Kent. https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/d...on/p16445coll4
    It's not the easiest of sites to negotiate, but once you get the hang of it. you're OK. Look for Trade and Professional directories.
    I briefly looked at Post Office London directory for 1895 and the cigar companies in the East End already seem to have the letter E after their address. E.C. (as in East Central) seems to be slightly nearer 'inner' London. (You can check out most of the addresses on a modern map.)

Company records, if any are likely to survive, will probably be at at London Metropolitan Archives. (Another site that I always used to have trouble negotiating!) Currently still having trouble because the site is down for maintenance, so will hopefully remember to post a link later.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for your help Pam, great info as usual.

Jeff
    See the BG Forum Occupations.General Forum thread Cigar Makers in Mile End started 29.04.2009 particularly #7. This post provides a further online link. The post also provides data on the numbers of people employed in the trade and the time period.
    Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast