Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default How to identify battalion

I know my grandfather served in the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and Royal Warwickshire Regiments during WW1 and I have his service numbers. How can I find out which battalions he served in, so I can find out which countries he was in?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello vivowen,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

The surviving service records for WWl are available via Ancestry and Findmypast. You can search the sites for free, only paying to access the actual record though both sites offer free 14-day trials. If you take out a trial, remember to untick any automatic subscripton renewal boxes, so your bank account doesn't take an unexpected hit. Your local library may also offer free access to either site.
    However, note the word 'surviving', because well over 60% of WWl records were lost to fire and bombing in WW2.

There are other records which survive, such as pension records and medal index rolls though the latter are really only useful if you know a sevice number as they don't usually have an address.

If you find a service record, and thus the battalion number(s), then you can usually obtain the war diaries from The Natiinal Archives at Kew. Only some of the diaries have been digitised and can be downloaded. For the others you will either have to visit TNA in person or else hire a researcher. The researcher, although perhaps sounding expensive, could be cost-effective if you live some distance from Kew. (Virtually every hobby/interest costs money and family history is no exception. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hello vivowen,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

The surviving service records for WWl are available via Ancestry and Findmypast. You can search the sites for free, only paying to access the actual record though both sites offer free 14-day trials. If you take out a trial, remember to untick any automatic subscripton renewal boxes, so your bank account doesn't take an unexpected hit. Your local library may also offer free access to either site.
    However, note the word 'surviving', because well over 60% of WWl records were lost to fire and bombing in WW2.

There are other records which survive, such as pension records and medal index rolls though the latter are really only useful if you know a sevice number as they don't usually have an address.

If you find a service record, and thus the battalion number(s), then you can usually obtain the war diaries from The Natiinal Archives at Kew. Only some of the diaries have been digitised and can be downloaded. For the others you will either have to visit TNA in person or else hire a researcher. The researcher, although perhaps sounding expensive, could be cost-effective if you live some distance from Kew. (Virtually every hobby/interest costs money and family history is no exception. )

Pam
    Hello Pam

Thanks very much for this very useful information.

Viv

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI Viv
    If the battalions are not listed on the Medal Index Card, then they are usually put in the medal rolls.
    You just have to find the right ones for your Grandfather.
    They are available on Ancestry.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.