Loves to help with queries

Default Need Help: UK, Outbound Passenger Record

I have the passenger list showing the emigration of my grandfather and grandmother via Liverpool on 15 February 1921. They are shown as Mr. T. Murison and Mrs. Murison. I am quite sure they are the correct people, since I checked their Form 30A immigration cards at their Canadian destination.

They are the correct ages, professions etc., but they seem to have separate tickets, cabins and their ages are shown in the columns as if they were travelling alone. They also have a peculiar notations for "Port of Embarkation".

Can anyone help me understand what is happening? I found the record on Ancestry, but I know it's on FindMyPast as well.

Here is the citation for the couple:
    "UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960," Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.ca/search/colle...passengerlists : downloaded 26 April 2019) > Liverpool [port] > 1921 [year] > February [month], browsable images, image 283, Minnedosa, departed Liverpool on 15 February 1921, bound for St John N.B., entries for Mr. T Murison & Mrs. Murison; citing “Board of Trade: Commercial and Statistical Department and successors: Outwards Passenger Lists,” BT27 [TNA reference], The National Archives (TNA), Kew, Richmond, Surrey, England. See also images 259 and 295, which are the title and summary pages of the passenger list, for additional sailing details.

Mr T Murison
    occupation - Clerk
    Age 28
    Departure Date 15 Feb 1921
    Port of Departure - Liverpool, England
    Destination Port -St John, Canada
    Ship - Minnedosa
    Shipping Line - The Canadian Pacific Ocean Services Ltd
    Capt Webster
    Contract ticket no 5064.
    They are on the same page but he is listed at number 5064 and Mrs Murison age 18 is listed at contract number 5346.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you scroll back through the shipping list you will find that most of the pages don't have the nomenclature "E11" etc next to the passenger's name, and nowhere can I find an explanation of what it represented.

As to why they were travelling "separately" I wonder if the answer is something like he was going on his own and she was to follow later, but they changed their minds? Perhaps they couldn't afford the cost of changing his ticket.

She was only 18, so when did they get married vis a vis the sailing date?

Thank you

Megan; they were married December 18th, 1920. The age difference and likely the purpose for leaving so soon after was that she was going to have a baby within about 8 months of the marriage. It is strange, given the circumstances, that they seemed to have separate cabins. The plans would have been unlikely to change, given the short time, unless he already had a booking, found out they needed to marry and then booked her fare. Maybe the sales dates on the back of the Canadian Form 30A immigration cards hold a clue?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I know zilch about ships but I did wonder perhaps if it was cheaper to travel separately in 'dormitory' style cabins (4 or 6 beds in a cabin) than to travel as a couple in their own cabin. Money could have been a big consideration at the time. There's also the 'tickets booked at different times' theory and either it would have cost too much money to have changed Thomas' ticket or else there were no double cabins available.
    Alternatively, they did have their own cabin, it's just that the tickets were booked at different times. I don't think you can necessarily assume 'facts' just because the names aren't listed consectutively.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam;

I think the story is clarified by the Form 30A cards surrendered upon the Canadian landing. Sleuthing is such fun!

Thomas B. Murison had been sold a "cabin" class ticket (E1/5064 [looks like prefix was added later]). The E1/ on Thomas ticket looks like it could have been an addition. The E1 is crowded into a blank space before the numbers and the slash seems to be through another character. A believe a cabin class ticket is 2nd class or better. His attestation is dated 16 April 1920. It looks like it was purchased in Liverpool. He said he was a Canadian citizen who had been in England visiting friends and was returning home. He gives his address as 2nd St. East, Calgary, Alberta. It looks as if he was to sail on the 3rd of February 1921 on the Melita, but it was changed to the 15th on the Minnedosa. He notes on his card that he is married, so someone made a mistake on the manifest.

Ruby Murison had been sold a "second" class ticket (E1/5346). It was purchased at the steamship line offices in her hometown of London. Her attestation is not dated. But; she says it was paid by her husband and she was going to Canada to "Settle". So, it had to have been purchased after her marriage on 18 December 1920. She gives her address as 1114 2nd St. East, Calgary, Alberta. Her ticket is for the Minnedosa on 15 February 1921. She notes on her card that she is married, so someone made a mistake on the manifest. She is also shown as 19, not 18 as on the manifest. I know she was born in August 1901.

It sounds as if Thomas had gone to England in the spring of 1920, but had not expected to get married and therefore booked his passage home upon landing. He subsequently met and married Ruby Murison (Wells). Ruby must have bought her ticket shortly after her wedding to Thomas. Perhaps to get on the same ship to Canada at the same time, he had to change his original booking on the Melita to the Minnedosa. It appears that Thomas already had a "cabin" class ticket. I think the E prefix represents an exception. Perhaps to reflect that Ruby would be in the same cabin as Thomas and did not need separate accomodation.

The whole issue seems to hang on the true meaning of the "E1" prefix. If you know anyone who may be able to help, please pass this along.

I am still trying to figure out how/when my grandfather travelled to England to marry my grandmother on 18 December 1920 in London (have marriage registration). I have proof that he was in North America as of 21 June 1919, since he was invalided to Canada aboard the hospital ship Essequibo which docked on that date. Does anyone know of "Incoming passenger lists" for 1919-1920 other than those on Ancestry? Perhaps there are other records that also might tell me when he was either at his parents' house in Saltcoats, Ayrshire, or near his bride in London?