Thread: Two marriages

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Two marriages

I am hoping that someone can solve my problems. I have Caroline WOODCOCK and Frederick William SURRIDGE marrying in Northwold where Caroline lived on 25th January, 1858. This is fine except I have found another marriage on the 7th January, 1858 for the same couple. When I first found it it was on Ancestry. It is now blocked.
    I have a birth certificate for a Martha Naomi SURRIDGE born before they married, but the only Martha I can find is Martha Elizabeth in the records. Did they alter her name and is there any record?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Without seeing the actual records its difficult to know, but my guess is that the "first marriage" was actually the banns being read.

With regards to the births, I don't understand what you mean. You say that you have a birth certificate before they were married. Do you mean before Jan 1858?

There is a birth registration for a Martha Naomi SURRIDGE in the Thetford registration distriction in the Janaury quarter of 1858 Volume 4b page 412, and whose mother's maiden name was Woodcock.

Famous for offering help & advice

The image of the marriage (on Familysearch) shows the marriage was 25 Jan 1858 by Licence.

Familysearch also has the 7 Jan 1858 entry you refer to, quoting film reference 1595944.

Searching Familysearch catalog using that film reference brings up Marriage Licence Bonds, Church of England. Diocese of Norwich. Consistory Court, with that particular film being 1858-1861.

The film is available to view, and at image 387 is the marriage licence. I must admit I think its possibly the first time I've seen a woman applying for a licence, but how unusual that is I don't know.

Live links arent allowed so I've broken it up below - hope this is OK (well I keep trying to.... Mod, please amend if necessary!)

familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D4ZQ-788?i=386&cc=1824690&cat=437050

Forgot to add - the licence was applied for on 7 Jan 1858
    Last edited by Jomot1; 27-04-2019 at 5:28 PM. Reason: added info

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your answer. The first marriage has turned out to be Caroline asking for a Licence which was on the marriage certificate.
    I am still having trouble with the birth certificate. Martha Naomi was born on 2nd February, 1858 just after the wedding. However, perhaps the registrar made a mistake as her father is given as William Frederick Surridge and not Frederick William. I have found the registration on Ancestry. My question now is did they change her name to Martha Elizabeth as this is the only one I can find. The 1861 census gives Caroline Woodcock living with her father and mother with two children, Martha and Anna. I think Anna is actually Hannah Agnes born 1859.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your answer which has solved one question. I am now struggling with Martha Naomi's birth certificate which seems to have a mistake. Her father is shown as William Frederick Surridge and not Frederick William. Also I cannot find her later in life. There is a Martha Elizabeth so did they change her name?

Famous for offering help & advice

Martha was baptised at Northwold on 4 Sept 1859 as Martha Elizabeth

4 Sep 1859 Martha Elizabeth d/o Frederick William & Caroline Surridge late Woodcock, Whitington Ln? Northwold, Veterinary Surgeon

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry I have not replied before this but have been poorly. I am going to accept that they changed Martha's second name, but I am still puzzling why Ancestry have blocked some of the records which had Frederick William's name reversed. Rotten transcribing?