Thread: Second Boer War

lauraathawes

Default Second Boer War

Hi,

I wondered if someone might be able to help me.

My Great Grandfather fought with the 2nd Hampshire Regiment during the Second Boer War, he sailed from Southampton, Hampshire 4th Jan 1900 and arrived in Cape, South Africa 23rd Jan 1900 on the Ship ASSAYE.

What I am trying to find out is did this ship stop any where on the way, specifically Malta or Gibraltar. Or if anyone would be able to help with finding out what ship the 2nd Hampshire's traveled back to England on in 1902 and if this stopped.

The reason I ask, is that my Great Grandfather had a Monkey, there are various stories/rumors as to where this Monkey was from and one of them was that he brought it back with him from Malta/Gibraltar. He use to talk about going on holiday to Malta apparently.

Personally I can't see a ship going to Malta from South Africa on its way to or from England, Gibraltar sounds more reasonable. I also don't know much about Malta's history did England have a Garrison their??

Many thanks in advance for the help.

This may help with the presence of British troops in Malta and their involvement in the second Boer war.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

The 2nd Hampshire were stationed in Malta in 1903 till 1905 then on to Bermuda. They left S. Africa in 1902 returning to Portsmouth before going to Malta.

Keith