Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Is the 1951 Census for Sydny Australia online

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to access the 1951 Census for Sydney. Is it online? is it free to access?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

As you're living in NSW surely you could ask local/state government over there.

And do you really mean 1951, or have you made a typo and mean 1851?

Though from what I can see (unless there was a local census) there was no Australian census in 1951.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_in_Australia
    It also reads as if the completed household census forms are destroyed within a relatively short space of time after the statistics have been gathered.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census...tralia#Privacy
    and the next paragraph headed 'Destruction of census'.

According to this https://www.nla.gov.au/research-guid...ew-south-wales
    electoral rolls are available online.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

ok thanks. bugger. I'm trying to see if a person was in Sydney early to mid 1950s

Did you read the bit about the electoral rolls being online?
    Haven't tried them to see how 'research-friendly' they are, but if you have to go through them page by page, then that's what you'll have to do to try to find your answer. You should know by now that family history research ain't always easy. Whatever the TV adverts imply.

Pam

Thanks, the person I'm looking for, I suspect may not have been of voting age in 1955. I'm not on Ancestry.com.
    She is my deceased adopted brother's biological mother and until I get a copy of his original birth certificate and/or any medical and social documentation available. I only have the name on his adoption certificate to go on.

ok,

the census was in 1954 not 1951.

I'm looking for a person who gave birth in 1955 in Sydney (so having a census the year before may be really helpful). I hope the information was transcribed/recorded prior to the destruction of the census forms. Unfortunately I'm not a member of Ancestry that I believe may have access to the census information that covers this period.

I have contacted the ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) to make enquiries as to whether any information was kept? and if so, what was kept? where? and if it is accessible.

Response from ABS,

Under the Census and Statistics Act 1905 (and as amended), the ABS is not permitted to release the names, addresses or contact details of any individual or organisation, or any other information that would enable any individual or organisation to be identified.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cook View Post
    ok,

the census was in 1954 not 1951.

I'm looking for a person who gave birth in 1955 in Sydney (so having a census the year before may be really helpful). I hope the information was transcribed/recorded prior to the destruction of the census forms. Unfortunately I'm not a member of Ancestry that I believe may have access to the census information that covers this period.
    I don't have a world sub to Ancestry, but I've just checked the Card Catalogue and it says it has the 1828, 1841, 1891 and 1901 census for New South Wales only.

However, a further search reveals that Ancestry have selected Electoral Rolls between 1903 and 1980. Censuses list everyone in a household; electoral rolls list only people old enough to vote.
    Findmypast have some electoral rolls but not as recent as the 1950s.

Do you have a LDS Family History Centre nearby, as they usually have access to Ancestry. FHCs are free to attend though you may have to book to use a computer.
    https://www.familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

Pam

Thanks,

I am told that she isn't on the electoral rolls plus so far no marriage can be found either.

Her middle name (as the birth mother) on the adoption paperwork may be incorrect or her name may be an alias (hence why I'm trying to locate where she lived in Sydney to try and sort this out).

Thanks anyway.

I'll see if there is any information on the pre-adoption birth certificate when it arrives plus if NSW BDM has the birth mother's birth recorded with them (if they do, I'll be obtaining an extract of it). I have ordered both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast