Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default SOPHIE BARBARA BERCHER - BASEL TO CANNOCK

SOPHIE BARBARA BERCHER - BASEL SWITZERLAND
    Born 1893 Basel Switzerland -Died 1952 Cannock, Staffordshire.

My step Mother has just died and I would like to find some information for her family and in particular
    her Mother. What I have found so far I have added to my Anc tree which includes her Mother and Father's deaths and their five children, inc my step mother.(now all deceased)

All I knew was that her surname was Bercher, she was from Basel and was Swiss German!

I was sent some info from her 1918 marriage certificate Sophie Barbara Bercher born 17th April 1893.
    Father Thomas, occupation "Official" She married William Harold Smith. Sophie died 4.3.1952 Reg. Cannock.
    Marriage: Reg. Smith, William H to Bercher, Sophia B. Reg Q2 1918 Prestwich 8d 411 (Entry also as Smith to Bersher Prestwich 8d 411

Marriage
    17th April 1918. St Mark’s Cheetham Hill, Lancaster.

William Harold SMITH, bachelor, 31 yrs, Colliery Sales Manager, Residence 86 High Green, Cannock, father Joseph SMITH (deceased) married Sophie Barbara BERCHER, spinster, full age, Residence The Crossways, father Thomas BERCHER, Official.

Married in the above Church, Church of England, after BANNS, by me, J Ridgway.

Both signed their names.

Witnesses: J L LEVY, J H DUKES.

How would I look to see if the Marriage was in a newspaper as if so it would hopefully give some facts for her.?

The certificate doesn't say where she was from so would welcome input/suggestions re
    finding out about Sophie in Switzerland please. How would I go about this and would she have had
    to complete documentation to come (presumably by ship and train ie not plane) then stay in the UK?

with thanks
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

TO A MOD

Do you think it best to change the heading to SOPHIE BARBARA BERCHER -FROM BASEL To CANNOCK

iF SO PLEASE CHANGE AND MOVE IF NECESSARY!

I forgot to say that I'd like, if possible, to find out who else was living with Sophie at the time of her marriage.
    Thanks
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

TO THE MOD WHO CHANGED THE HEADING - tHANKS!

I have now added some more of the Smith family. There is an ANC Hint for George Phillips Smith born 1881 Reg West Bromwich
    Parents Joseph Smith and Sarah Jane Phillips.
    It's for New Zealand death 1969.

Please could someone access for me as I can't find it with the free weekend.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Jill, may I remind you of BG's T&Cs, item 7,
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/te....php#copyright
    where under Copyright there is a paragraph headed 'Lookups' which specifically says that members are not allowed to "solicit lookups for copyrighted work held elsewhere".

Having said that, I can find no trace of a death/burial record for a George Phillips Smith in 1969. Have you misread the name, because I did find a burial for a George Phillip Smith in 1969, record set New Zealand, Cemetery Records, 1800-2007.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks Pam I just looked at the Hints so didn't know it is copyright ie one can't copy it.
    The Hint I saw as below, but have just found his birth as 1881 West Bromwich so guess not him

New Zealand, Cemetery Records, 1800-2007 Source Info
    Birth, Marriage & Death
    In This Record In Your Tree
    Name George Phillip Smith
    Birth 1883
    Death 26/10/1969

Are you able to give me any tips re my first posting as to how to progress as this free weekend doesn't seem to include Switzerland
    and I can't find any info so am stuck with info for her.
    with thanks Jill

The hint itself isn't necessarily copyright, but you appeared to be asking for further information (i.e. specifically what the record said) and that is copyright.

For overseas BMDs probably the best place to start is FamilySearch. familysearch.org
    And probably be a bit flexible with the surname, as per any variations listed on FamilySearch, when looking for further records, e.g. immigration, naturalisation .

Also check out sites listed on cyndislist - add dot com to access the website.

To find if either Ancestry or Findmypast have any Swiss records, type Switzerland into the Card Catalog on Ancestry, or into 'A-Z of record sets' in the 'search' drop-down menu on FMP.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The hint itself isn't necessarily copyright, but you appeared to be asking for further information (i.e. specifically what the record said) and that is copyright.

For overseas BMDs probably the best place to start is FamilySearch. familysearch.org
    And probably be a bit flexible with the surname, as per any variations listed on FamilySearch, when looking for further records, e.g. immigration, naturalisation .

Also check out sites listed on cyndislist - add dot com to access the website.

To find if either Ancestry or Findmypast have any Swiss records, type Switzerland into the Card Catalog on Ancestry, or into 'A-Z of record sets' in the 'search' drop-down menu on FMP.

Pam
    Re bit in bold - meant to add that after you click on the title then 'somewhere' on the linked page (might be immediately under the heading, might be on either side but further down the page, sometimes both) there should be at least a brief description of what the records consist of (e.g. births registered in xyz 1802- 1933). From that you can often get an idea if a record in the index is relevant to your search. i.e. if you want 1944, then 1802-1933 is no use to you.

On any good subscription site you should (after possibly having to register) be able to search for free, only parting with money after deciding you want to see a record.

Pam

Growing old Disgracefully

Looking on Ancestry I can only find Marriage in Cheetham, Lancashire, England, 1939 register. Birth of 4 children, Death in 1952Cannock, Staffordshire and Probate 11 Jun 1952, London, England. I did search in all collections for Switzerland but found no records for Switzerland.

So no help

A fountain of knowledge

THANKS TO

1) PAM
    YOURS 6 & 7
    I checked familysearch which has the marriage but that's all but got tied in knots with FMP

2) SANDYHALL
    yours 8
    Very good of you to have looked at ANC - much appreciated.

The Marriage was at Cheetham Hill so newspapers were checked for the Cannock Area but have now been told
    it's nearer Manchester. If I could find a Notice of Marriage that may help
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

I have now received the following information from Basel which is wonderful. This states Sophie had three siblings, gives their names and date of birth . Clara married so there may be descendants.

If anyone has any further information I'd be grateful.
    with thanks
    JIll

Sophie Barbara Bercher was born on April 17, 1893 in Basel as the daughter of Thomas Bercher and Emma Maria née Meyer. She moved to England on July 10, 1913 (without exact location).

Thomas Bercher, born on December 21, 1865, from Burkheim, Amt Breisach (Germany), came to Basel on January 28, 1889 and was a railway employee. The marriage with Emma Maria Meyer took place on July 9, 1891 in Basel. Thomas Bercher died on June 29, 1924 in Basel.

Emma Maria Meyer, born on February 28, 1869, came from Unter-Hallau, Canton Schaffhausen. After the death of Thomas Bercher, she moved to Unter-Hallau on September 17, 1924.

Sophie Barbara Bercher had three siblings:

- Julius, born on July 24, 1895. On March 14, 1922 he became a Swiss citizen

- Karl, born on July 27, 1899. On June 1, 1922 he became a Swiss citizen

- Clara, born on August 4, 1900. She married Wilhelm Weidner in Waldshut (Germany) on October 31, 1922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast