Default Searching for info about medal I found

Hi,
    I have come across an old medal, that my late stepfather found whilst metal detecting, that I am trying to find out some information about. Limited info online so hoping you can help.

3396 Private J Devine Scots Rifles.
    He was attached to 16 Bn Royal Scots and died on either 1st/2nd/3rd August 1916.

I am trying to get some information regarding this soldier and hopefully be able to trace any living relatives so that I can give them the medal.

Grateful of any help.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

SDGW gives this-

Name:
    James Devine

Birth Place:
    Glasgow

Residence:
    Motherwell, Lanark

Death Date:
    2 Aug 1916

Death Place:
    France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:
    Hamilton

Private

Regiment:
    Cameronian (Scottish Rifles)

Battalion:
    6th Battalion

Regimental Number:

Type of Casualty:
    Died of wounds

Register of Soldiers Effects shows his money went to his father William, so not married.

You would need to check family trees on Ancestry to see if anyone had him to find a living relative.

regards
    Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Robert,

Thanks for the information and the help.

I am knew to this so will keep searching.

Scott

CWGC says that 3396 Private JS Devine, 16 btn Cameronians, is buried at Flatiron Copse cemetery in Mametz. This is one of the Somme graveyards. From their map, it's about half way between Amiens and Cambrai, and directly south of Arras.

"Soldiers who died" says that he was resident in Motherwell, enlisted in Hamilton. The 1901 census has 2 JDs with father William b. Glasgow, but only one in Motherwell. He had 1 brother (Daniel) and 3 sisters (Marion, Janet & Jane) at that time. The youngest was 3, so there might be more, but you'll need to check the 1911 census for that - you need to go to Scotlands People and buy a few credits to see it. See the message HERE.
    If the family are not still in Motherwell in the 1911 census, you'll have to look at the other JD.

With a minimum of 4 siblings, you might get lucky!

PS I have just noticed that you are in Motherwell. If you decide to do a thorough search, your cheapest option might be to treat yourself to a day in Edinburgh - you'd only pay for entry to the Scotlands People Centre (behind the "Man on the Horse" on Prince's St) and any printout you want, but all searching and results are included in the entry.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    . . .

PS I have just noticed that you are in Motherwell. If you decide to do a thorough search, your cheapest option might be to treat yourself to a day in Edinburgh - you'd only pay for entry to the Scotlands People Centre (behind the "Man on the Horse" on Prince's St) and any printout you want, but all searching and results are included in the entry.

A visit to Edinburgh may not be necessary, try the archives at

North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre in Motherwell.

OR The Mitchell Library in Glasgow.
    (Click on blue links to visit their websites)

Lesley, Thanks for the info. We have now traced some more of the family. It appears that the older sibling, Daniel Montgomery Devine, was also in the war (7th Seaforths) and was awarded the Military Medal. He married Agnes Struthers in Lanark. They had a daughter, Jane Lang Devine, who married George Manson Munro in 1945. There is a death certificate for Jane Lang Devine Munro who died in 1985 in Insch, Aberdeenshire. Looks like the family moved there.

Who signed Jane’s death certificate? If you’re lucky, it might be one of her children.