Default How do I find the correct person?

I'm very new here!
    I searched for distant relative "Harry Robinson", lots of Harries and H Robinsons appear but this is useless without DOB and family connections to find the correct one. He may have served in the TA prior to 1939 and is missing from the September 1939 register (he died in 1977). Is this info available? Where do I look?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Rex,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I presume you're referring to looking for records on Forces War Records, in which case this will hopefully explain the connection..
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...rs-Please-Read

All service records for personnel who served after 1921 are still with the Ministry of Defence. Unfortunately you will need Harry's DOB (as well as his death certificate and thirty quid) before you can send for his records. The good news is that his date of birth should be on his death certificate.
    FreeBMD (which is still a work in progress, though the majority of records prior to 1983 have now been transcribed) have twenty one Harry death registrations in 1977. Hopefully you know where he died so you should be able to find the correct one, though do make sure that only one died in that registration district. You might also be able to confirm you have the correct one by checking with the Probate Calendar. (Make sure you select the 1858-1996 section.)
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Details of how to apply to the MoD.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Hall View Post
    I'm very new here!
    I searched for distant relative "Harry Robinson", lots of Harries and H Robinsons appear but this is useless without DOB and family connections to find the correct one. He may have served in the TA prior to 1939 and is missing from the September 1939 register (he died in 1977). Is this info available? Where do I look?
    If you have his death Cert. it should give you a clue as to his date of birth. Do you know where he died. As there are 21 Death's for Harry Robinson in 1977 in England. on FreeBMD.

Oh dear Pam got there first

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    If you have his death Cert. it should give you a clue as to his date of birth. Do you know where he died. As there are 21 Death's for Harry Robinson in 1977 in England. on FreeBMD.

Oh dear Pam got there first
    Sorry, Sandyhall, I didn't do it on purpose.
    And it's always good to have a 'second looker' because I have been known to forget to say something vital. Such as in this case, that if Rex can't find an appropriate death for Harry, then come back with a few more details about him and we'll look in the full GRO death index just in case Harry's death registration hasn't yet made it to FreeBMD.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Growing old Disgracefully

Bit slow as got 4 year old Zachary all day, every day of the Hollidays to look after as well He keeps getting out of the garden then stands outside the gate and laugh's at me when I try to get him in. lol

I don't know his service number which would help me, but he was born on 24 Dec 1910 in Tipton, Staffs (hence I was looking up South Staffordshire Regiment). He died on 2 Dec 1977 in Wiltshire. Does this get me anywhere?
    Thanks in advance.

In the 1911 census for Tipton, there is a Harry Robinson aged 3 months with his parents Alfred Ernest and Sarah R. plus older sister Ruth. I assume this is him?

Since you have his birth and death dates, you just need to get a copy of his death certificate and then you can buy a copy of his service record (see Pam's message 2). You don't need his service number.

There is a page on FreeBMD telling you how to get a copy of a certificate HERE. It can also be done via various commercial companies, but it's cheaper to do it yourself.

There is a death on FreeBMD registered for 24 Dec 1977 in Warminster. Any chance that's him?

Yes that is Harry in both counts. I am in contact with his grand daughter and will enquire if she has his death cert. Thankyou.

A fountain of knowledge

Never assume a man would have joined a local regiment. This was completely turned on its head in WWI and from then until today men (and women) were/are placed where they are required.
    Only in the very, very early weeks of WWI would a man have 'routinely' been signed up by a local unit (hence the pals battalions).