Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Caroline Elizabeth Waters

I’ve come to a brick wall with this one 😞 I’ve found records for her up to 1907 when she was named as a victim in court when her husband tried to kill her & when he died she was named in his will but no sign of her in records after that 😞 , she was born Caroline Elizabeth mills 1860 in high cross, Hertfordshire, England then married Benjamin Webb in 1884 then he died and then she married Jacob waters in 1889 , Caroline is my 3rd great grandmother , any help or advice will be welcomed

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a death record for a Caroline Elizabeth Waters as follows

1907 St Olave, Southwark, Jan quarter volume 1d page 120 age 50.

Now whilst that doesn't quite match her birth year it's only a couple of years different and could be a result of who ever registered the death. Of course it may not be her but it is something for you to consider.

However, having read a couple of newspaper articles concerning the case another possibility to consider is that she adopted the name of the man that she had gone off with. Unfortunately he's not named in those articles, but one of them does give the different addresses in Enfield that she and Jacob were living at in July 1906 when the incident occurred.

24 July 1906 Morning Post
    13 Sept 1906 Leicester Daily Post

Jacob - Cornwall Terrace, Baker Street
    Caroline - Forty Hill

The People, 16 Sep 1906,

" ... She formed the aquaintance of a man named Millar and left her husband to live with Millar ...."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I just found her sons marriage certificate & there’s a witness called C Waters that signed it but that’s in 1913 but then Caroline had a daughter called Caroline as well , I do not believe that Caroline Elizabeth waters died in the jan quarter of 1907 as she would still be alive when Jacob died & his will Read out in April 1907

When was Jacob's Will written? That is the important date not the date he died or any date after that.

Don't forget the Jan quarter index covers deaths that occurred between 1 Jan and 31 March.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    . . .
    Don't forget the Jan quarter index covers deaths that occurred between 1 Jan and 31 March.
    Correction: were registered
    One has currently 5 days to register a death, not sure if this was always the case.

Sorry Megan.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    Correction: were registered
    One has currently 5 days to register a death, not sure if this was always the case.

Sorry Megan.
    I think it's always been five days to register a death.
    Certainly from 1874 onwards, see paragraphs 10, 11, and 12.
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...-38/88/enacted

And, yes, it is deaths that were registered in a quarter. If someone died at 6pm on Friday 31 March, then the earliest their death could be registered would be Monday 3 April, which is June quarter.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks for the link. Pam.
    I've made a note of it!

I usually just read the doc. and forget to note the ref.

There is a marriage record for a Caroline E Waters in 1913 in Edmonton, Middlesex to a Lewis H Banks that might be worthy of consideration.

If you know her exact date of birth a left that might produce results is using that and just her first names is to search the 1939 Register. It has some 600 / 700 Carolines born in 1860, and that would obviously narrow down if you have the exact date, and that could be narrowed further by concentrating on the South East.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast