Loves to help with queries

Question SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES - MURISON, CHARLES

Does anyone have access to the following, such that they could tell me if there is anything of genealogical substance in the file?
    I had done a search for it on Scotlands People years ago, but hadn't had the opportunity to examine the contents.
    If it does contain something worthwhile, please let me know where it can now be found. I'll look into getting the record.
    Charles Murison is my mother's uncle and I want to make sure my records are complete.

Regards;
    Gary

--------------------------------

Name:
    MURISON, CHARLES

Date:
    17/04/1923

Description:
    TORWOOD, SORBIE ROAD, SALTCOATS, AFTERWARDS THE PROVINCIAL HOSPITAL, NORTH BATTLEFORD, SASKATCHEWAN, D. 05/11/1922 AT EDMONTON, ALBERTA, INTESTATE.

Court:
    EDINBURGH SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES

Reference:
    SC70/1/694

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Gary,

The record is still there on ScotlandsPeople. Don't know what it says because it requires credits to view.

I found it very easily. On the opening page I simply entered surname, first name, and 1923 as the first and last year of search. Got results in two categories, scrolled down to the bottom box on the left under the main heading of 'legal records', where it says 'wills and testaments' with a link to view the record.

Off-topic - how's your file-sorting going for all your old higgledy-piggledy stuff? Did you use the spreadsheet system?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks for having a look, Pam. I should buy some credits and look at it. I know exactly how Charles Murison died, where and when. I even have the medical death certificate, all the newspaper clippings and a plot map of where he is buried. I'm curious as to what might be in the file and whether it's useful or just legal "mumbo-jumbo".

My file-sorting and the associated activities are picking up. I've got a file-naming convention and filing structure that is easy to understand, works and is flexible. I'm starting to believe that I probably understand how to construct a workable citation as well as anyone else and not to be intimidated by what pundits think. Most importantly; I've managed to slow down and do my citations and filing as I go. I've also learned to "eat the elephant bite by bite" by using a research log to keep me focused on just one person and event until I'm done. All-in-all, I'm making a dent in the pile. It will take time...

I've recently come to the conclusion that nearly all the genealogy programs I've tried thus far are geared to those who just want to cruise Ancestry and link every "shaky leaf" they see into their tree. It seems like most programs don't seem to fully support serious genealogical research. I'm having to use Excel tables for Research Logs and Research Notes. The predefined ones in the programs are too restrictive. I use MSWord for Research Reports, Proof Analyses and Proof Summaries etc. Program designers seem to think that a given event is always supported by a simple proof statement and more advanced analysis isn't required. And now... I'll get down from my soap-box (Wow. Was that me? Oh; but that felt so good... So forgive me, please?)

Pleased you're making progress sorting out all your accumulated stuff, Gary.
    I must admit that I use the 'everything for one person before moving onto someone else' method, too.

Have you looked at Family Historian? I understand it's very flexible. It's definitely not connected to Ancestry, though I think you can get hints from Findmypast on it. You can take a free 30-day trial, though not all the features are available in the trial. There is also a very sctive support group.

Pam

Did a search for 'Family Historian User Group' and amongst the results found this. https://www.
    family-historian.co.uk/support/videos

Pam

Thanks, Pam. I'll have to look at it. I used to use The Master Genealogist. It did a rather nice job. I was so sad when it was discontinued.

Again; my apologies for that bit of a rant.

I do hope your efforts are bearing fruit. I'm so looking forward to getting the Canadian portion cleaned up and moving on to the English/Scottish "era" in the family history.