Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Richard abbot*

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Benson brought a Quarry and built houses for the workers

I pinched this LOL (So admins might want to delite)

British-Genealogy.com
    I live in Abbotts Houses in Butterknowle, In the 1911 census, when you dig a bit, they were originally called Benson Abbott's Houses and were occupied by colliery workers. Benson Abbott was listed as a Quarry Owner until 1891, from then he was listed as a Deputy Overman (deputy supervisor) and eventually pit manager. This downturn in fortunes seems to be supported by his bankruptcy in 1879, the houses are believed to have been built in the late 1870s but do not show in any census pre 1911.

The possibility is that they were built before his bankruptcy but then not occupied until the early 20th century, the "Benson" part of the address seems to disappear around 1911 as it was only the occupiers themselves who called them Benson Houses. The official title by the census was Abbott's Houses but when asked to sign the cover sheets each resident called them Benson's Houses, one even went so far as to write the name "Benson" in pencil next to the official inked version of "Abbotts Houses".
    It would have been easier just to say "Have you seen post #8 in this thread?"
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...-abbot-familly
    In which gwen646 had already posted. Albeit several years ago.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

gwen646

Thank you Pam
    I had forgotten that i had joined this sight until I stumbled upon it...Many thanks for bringing it to my attention

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    It would have been easier just to say "Have you seen post #8 in this thread?"
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...-abbot-familly
    In which gwen646 had already posted. Albeit several years ago.

Pam
    Hi Pam I didn't take it from B G I found it somewhere else but thanks for the link.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by gwen646 View Post
    Morning
    I am after a bit of help with the children of Richard abbot born 1818 ( the poet)*& Sarah abbot*(nee greenwell) from Westmoreland England.They had a son named Benson and another named Isaac..In all they had abt eight children of which most died young .. I had all of this written down on paper.But I have gone and lost that paper...So gutted
    Hi Gwen

I think I may be able to help with regards to Richard Abbot. His wife, Sarah (nee Greenwell) actually came from Cockfield /Hamsterley in County Durham. She was the sixth child of George Greenwell (of Haggerleases,) and Elizabeth Benson (of Startforth / Boldron).

Richard Abbot & Sarah Greenwell had seven children : Robert (1841- ), Benson (1843-); John (1847 - ), William (1850-), Issac (1856-), Angelia (1858-) and Elizabeth (1864-).

Sorry I haven't got all the dates. Ancestry seem to have deleted my family tree (I do have a copy somewhere). Benson Abbot took over running the quarries at East and West Layton after his father's demise.

He had been given the job after his coal-mining enterprise at Butterknowle suffered some ill fortune (his partners went bankrupt). Benson Abbot was well thought of by the miners as he constructed decent properties for them to live in, and to this day some of the houses he had constructed still bear his name, near Butterknowle.

I'm descended from Richard and Sarah's youngest child - Elizabeth. She married William Allsop, a farmer from Killerby, but later moved back over the River Tees to Egglestone Abbey. My grandmother was their youngest child. I do have a wealth of information gathered about the family which I am happy to share with you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Nicky
    I am interested in what you know about Benson Abbot and any coal mine he owned and lost.
    My husband Simon is a decendent of Benson Abbot and grew up listening to a story about someone in the family losing a coal mine and someone building Abbots houses but we think the story has been skeward over the years so would love to have anything you can share.
    Kind regards
    Jackie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123