Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alice Pickard born 1871 Barton on Humber

My grandmother was called Alice Pickard and was the sister of Benjamin Pickard. She was born in Barton on Humber but moved to Hull. Has anyone got any more information about the family?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Barb123,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

As names are often repeated in families, can we establish that you're referring to the Benjamin born in1874, and whose sister, Alice, was born in 1871?
    If not, then we need a few more details about Alice, such as when she was born, names of her parents if you know them, if you've found her in any census, or the 1939 Register, etc.

Also, it helps if you say exactly what sort of information you're looking for. It's a waste of time someone researching and then telling you that 'Alice married Fred in 1953' if you already know that.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hello Pam

Yes Alice was born in 1871 and Benjamin in 1874. I've been looking at the 1871 and 1891 censuses and her parents were Herbert and Lucy H Pickard. They were living in Whitecross Street in 1871 and Back Lane in 1891. In 1871 there was also Ann Elizabeth, Alfred, Emma, Herbert and Alonza, her brothers and sisters. She moved to live in Hull but don't know when, married my grandad and they had about 8 children, the youngest being my mother. I'm interested in finding out more about the family and what happened to her brothers and sisters.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Barbara

What was the name of Alice's husband? My guess is Henry Dobson. Married in 1893.

Pam

Yes that's right, my mother's maiden name was Dorothy Dobson, she was born in 1911. Didn't know their marriage date or why she moved to Hull.

I've moved your query about Alice to its own thread because your query wasn't really relevant to the original thread and certainly doesn't belong in a military forum.

So first of all, do you have access to either Ancestry or Findmypast so you can see the census entries? You can take out a 14-day trial with either site, but remember to untick the auto-renew box/cancel the renewal at least 2 days before the end of the 14 days else your bank balance will be severely depleted.
    Your local library may also have free access to one of the sites.

I think the most you will be able to find out about Alice is that she moved to Hull sometime between 1881 and 1891. In 1891 she's a general servant, aged 20, living in Sculcoates. Census reference RG12/3928 folio 19 page 31.

Fast forward to the 1911 census (reference RG14/PN28663 SN104.)
    Henry and Alice are living in Sculcoates with eight of their ten children - two of whom have died.
    You should be able to find the birth registrations of all of the children by searching the Historical births index on the GRO site.https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
    Click search, and at the bottom of the page you'll find a link to register.

This is also the site to go to if you ever want to order a BMD certificate. Never order through Ancestry or other third-party sites, as they charge you an arm and a leg for doing what you can easily do yourself. Some sites have a URL very similar to the GRO site, so do beware. Basically, if you're being charged more than eleven quid for a certificate you're on the wrong site. The exception being if you order direct from a local Register Office, where their prices usually have postage added on.

You can also use the GRO site to find birth registrations for Alice and her siblings.
    Alice's parents were Herbert Pickard and Lucy Hannah Cawkwell who married June quarter 1854.

To find out more about Dorothy's siblings use FreeBMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    to look for marriages for them, and you can then search for their children by using married name/mother's maiden name. Just leave the child's name box blank and use a range of years. Try searching for your own birth registration for starters, using a range of years ten years either side of the actual one. Though as FreeBMD is still a work in progress (though mainly complete to about 1950), it'll be just my luck that your birth is one that's missing.

Running out of battery power, so more later.

Pam

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.

There's a brief obituary in the Hull Daily Mail, Fri 31st August 1917, for Mrs H Pickard, " in her 81st year and was a Miss Cawkwell of Hull". Herbert had died just 12 months previously. It describes her as " the mother of the late Sergeant Major Pickard and with 3 other sons in the army, all in the Lincolns"

I think this may be the "late Seargent Major Pickard"
    https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...ckard-herbert/

The age fits the Herbert on the 1871 Census.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks for your help

I want to cry. I'd spent about two hours doing a load of searching, and typing, and then did something really stupid and lost the lot.
    On the other hand, it shouldn't take me so long to find all the answers again.

Starting with Herbert Pickard and Lucy Hannah Cawkwell who married September quarter 1854 Glanford Brigg registration district.
    Marriage entry in parish register (PR) can be found on Findmypast (FMP).
    From search in top banner, and drop-down menu, select search A-Z record sets.
    Type Lincolnshire, and then scroll down to 'Parish registers browse' (usually last entry).
    Ignore year. Type marriages, and then select single word marriages from menu.
    In parish box type Barton on Humber, and select.

From the results, click on fifth entry down 1837-1899, 261 images.
    On the first page, you'll see at the bottom 1, 261, go.
    Change the 1 to 90, click go.

Marriages of Herbert and Lucy's children.

Ann Elizabeth Pickard - can't find anything positive for Ann after the 1871 census.

Alfred Pickard married Sarah Ann Kinsley, September quarter 1880, Glanford Brigg registration district.
    Alfred died, aged 28, in 1887. Death registered December quarter 1887, Glanford Brigg registration district.
    Buried Barton St Peter,
    To find entry in burial PR, search on FMP - A-Z record sets, Lincolnshire burial index, then search for name. Click on icon on extreme right of page.

Emma Pickard married George Cole, March quarter 1894, Sculcoates registration district.
    1911 census reference: RG14/PN20113 SN349

Herbert Pickard junior, married Sarah Alice Richardson, June quarter 1888, Glanford Brigg registration district.
    Married at Barton St Mary. From Lincs marriage parish registers for Barton on Humber select 1887-1911, 228 images. You want image 11.
    1911 census reference: RG14/PN20110 SN109

Alonza Pickard married Margaret Chapman, September quarter 1894, Glanford Brigg registration district.
    1911 census reference: RG14/PN20114 SN368

Alice Pickard married Henry Dobson, June quarter 1893, Sculcoates registration district.
    1911 census reference: RG14/PN28663 SN104

Benjamin Pickard - think this is the one in this thread. Mainly post #8 onwards.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...hlight=pickard

Lucy Pickard, junior, married Herbert Stamp,
    Marriage in Barton St Peter PRs, online at FMP.
    To access, follow instructions re finding marriage of Herbert Pickard and Lucy Cawkwell.
    Then choose register for years 1899-1909, 56 images.
    This Lucy and Herbert's marriage is image 10.
    1911 census reference: RG14/PN20112 SN79

Charles William Pickard married twice.
    First to Rhoda Ann Pullen. December quarter 1899, Glanford Brigg registration district.
    Marriage in Barton St Peter online at FMP.
    Same instructions as for Lucy junior. Though if you're crafty, just click the arrow pointing to the right on the right-hand side of the page of Lucy's wedding, because Charles' wedding is image 11 of the same register.

Sadly, Rhoda's death is registered in March quarter 1900, Glanford Brigg registration district.

Charles William Pickard then married Getrude Olive L. Dawson, June quarter 1905, Glanford Brigg registration district. Didn't marry at Barton St Peter.
    1911 census reference: RG14/PN20112 SN151

Pam

Parents Herbert and Lucy's 1911 census reference is RG14/PN20110 SN114. (PN means piece number and SN schedule number.)

Herbert's name is spelt, and therefore indexed as Hubert, but it's fairly obvious from the style of writing that he didn't actually fill out (nor sign) the form. If you look at the number of children they had you'll see that six are still living, but six have died.

You should hopefully be able to find all the birth registrations in the GRO Historical Index. From memory, I saw two Lucy's, two Alice's, and two Herbert's - when I wasn't even looking for them.

Pickard burials after 1755 are indexed on FMP under A-Z record sets - type Lincolnshire, select Lincs Burials. Type in surname and parish Barton on Humber.

Much to my surprise, baptisms after 1813, are also indexed. Find them on FMP the same way as burials but select Lincs baptisms.

Parents Herbert and Lucy Hannah died 1916 and 1917 respectively.
    Both buried in Barton St Peter but the burial register is not on FMP. Available on Lincstothepast.
    https://www.lincstothepast.com

To access, click 'advanced search', type Barton on Humber PAR 1 in the 'exact phrase' box.
    On page 4 of results, fourth from bottom see 'burials St Peter' 1893 -1930, click on thumbnail pic of PR.
    The heading on the PR says Barton on Humber.
    There's 11 images, Herbert is on image 74. Page number 134 entry number 1071. Buried 14 August 1916, aged 79 years.

Lucy is on image 76. Page number 139 entry number 1112. Buried 29 August 1917, aged 80 years.

For birth and death registrations listed in the GRO Historical Indexes you can obtain PDF copies of the certificates. They're plain black and white, are sent by email so remember to download the images to your computer, but are four quid cheaper than certified copies.

Hopefully, I've remembered everything I said first time round.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast