Hello. I am new here and new to dna testing, and am hoping someone might be able to help. I have had my dna tested with ancestry.co.uk. I have researched my family tree and am currently interested in finding whether there is a connection between my line and another local (ish) line. The name is pretty rare so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that all the lines are eventually linked. I did a surname search in my dna matches, and I have 6 matches to trees with the other line in (same person born circa 1640), and my brother has 12 matches. All between 9 and 12cM. However, I have traced my line back on paper to around the 1660s, with no paper link found yet. My question is, is it most likely that a) the matches are a coincidence - 1660s is too far to be having any dna left in common, b) something has gone awry with my paper trail, and I should be looking at checking that rather than going ever further back looking for the link. Half of my brother and my matches are the same, he just has more. Thanks!