Thread: DNA puzzle

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default DNA puzzle

Hello. I am new here and new to dna testing, and am hoping someone might be able to help. I have had my dna tested with ancestry.co.uk. I have researched my family tree and am currently interested in finding whether there is a connection between my line and another local (ish) line. The name is pretty rare so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that all the lines are eventually linked. I did a surname search in my dna matches, and I have 6 matches to trees with the other line in (same person born circa 1640), and my brother has 12 matches. All between 9 and 12cM. However, I have traced my line back on paper to around the 1660s, with no paper link found yet. My question is, is it most likely that a) the matches are a coincidence - 1660s is too far to be having any dna left in common, b) something has gone awry with my paper trail, and I should be looking at checking that rather than going ever further back looking for the link. Half of my brother and my matches are the same, he just has more. Thanks!

Hi
    Personally the level of cm matches you have would indicate a common ancestor later than 1640 and the chances are seeing as you say the families are fairly local there is some sort of marriage happening between them,to find that you both would have to have large trees including all the siblings and their descendants to show it up,I have been through this and that's why I have ended up with nearly 10,000 in my tree.the only other way is YDNA the direct male line which would mean both families would need a male only line to test,the result of that would be haplogroups for both families and if they come from the same Male ancestor you would share the same Haplogroup and you would be a match on sub clades,ancestry is ok for finding cousins but for going back to 1600s and beyond you have to get serious and Ydna and Mtdna are the way to go

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by tommy tipper View Post
    Hi
    Personally the level of cm matches you have would indicate a common ancestor later than 1640 and the chances are seeing as you say the families are fairly local there is some sort of marriage happening between them,to find that you both would have to have large trees including all the siblings and their descendants to show it up,I have been through this and that's why I have ended up with nearly 10,000 in my tree.the only other way is YDNA the direct male line which would mean both families would need a male only line to test,the result of that would be haplogroups for both families and if they come from the same Male ancestor you would share the same Haplogroup and you would be a match on sub clades,ancestry is ok for finding cousins but for going back to 1600s and beyond you have to get serious and Ydna and Mtdna are the way to go
    Thanks for replying. I’m trying to persuade my Dad to do the YDNA testing, and I have been in contact with a male line descendent from the other family so that would be the ideal option. Otherwise I guess I will plough on with my tree - your reply has given me some hope that I’m not wasting my time and that the matches aren’t just spurious. Your tree sounds impressive!

Thanks but that many in a tree is actually a nightmare especially my Maternal side as you find 2 brothers marry 2 sisters then a couple of generations down the same family marry back in.
    On the Ydna front to get a basic Haplogroup a Y37 test would get you to a conclusion to see if 2 families were linked as they should show as matches.FTDNA or familytree dna have regular sales so it would be best to wait for a sale price as they are not cheap to do and you have to pay to send the swabs back to Houston.My Ydna and Mtdna end with me as my Mother was an only child and I am also and I only have Daughters so I have put in place both tests that if any person wants to continue they have all the data they need to carry on the research where I leave off

Hi
    Just remembered if you want a rough guess as to which Haplogroup you both belong to without going to the expense you can use Morley ydna predictor where you submit your autosomal dna and it predicts your Haplogroup,so if 1 of you predicts a R haplogroup and the other an E or I or some different then the chances are no link.its not 100% but might save you money,not sure if I can put a link or not but easily searchable

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

That’s a great tip, I’ll definitely look into that thank you!