Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Charles Brennan in British military pre 1884

Charles Brennan, 1st husband of my great-grandmother, is found in The Hampshire Advertiser County Newspaper - June 7, 1884, p. 7, Col. 2,"Two Suicides in one day", It says he was a member of the Army reserve, and had previously suffered a fever while serving in India or Africa and was afraid from pains in his head it was coming on again. He was in financial difficulty, talked strange at times and was in mental trouble leading him to commit suicide at age 26. His wife later moved with their 2 children to Michigan, but shared little information about her early life.

Would appreciate help on how to get his military records with the hopes they will lead to info about his birth, and parents. Their marriage certificate had minimal information.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Find my past has 19th century army service records.

I had a quick look and can see two Charles Brennans of about the right age, both Irish, but both of whom appear to have been serving after 1884. However, it was only a very quick look and they do need to be read carefully, and secondly I did not get the chance to lňok for alternative spellings of his surname.

I would recommend that you have a look at those records and then any queries you have about them you can post on this forum, because there are members who understand the military records far better than I do.

You say that you have their marriage certificate but that it does not have much information. Is that because it does not list his father; in other words there is a blank in the box where that name should be listed? If that is the case then he was illegitimate.