Thread: Khedive's Star

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Khedive's Star

Hello, I am trying to identify a man in an old glass slide photograph. He is in a Kilt and appears to have both a Khedive Star and an Egypt medal. My best guess is that he was part of the Cameron Highlanders. How would I go about finding the records of men who received both medals from this regiment WITHOUT a name to start the search? I believe he was from the Brechin area, or at least lived there at a later date, due to other photographs in the collection. Any tips or ideas would be most appreciated! Please note, original slide is part of collection MS167, donated by my family and held at Forfar Archive.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello, and welcome to British-Genealogy.

It would appear that the Khedive Star was issued between 1882 and 1891, and even if the photo was taken twenty years later I can't reconcile the clarity of it to say, circa 1911, but I presume you're confident that the person wearing the medals is the person to whom they were awarded.

As for finding who he is, I can only think of two options. One is to go through the service records of everyone in the Cameron Highlanders, though that might take some time and still leave you with quite a long list of possibilities.
    The other is to try the local newspapers. Send a copy and ask if anyone recognises the piper.

Sorry I can't be more inspired.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wink

Thank you, I might just try that!