Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

a sad story. Sorry, I don't know anything about divorce records either ! Not being much help !

I should have mentioned this earlier. You have given us a lot of information about your father. If he is still alive that information will have to be deleted by a moderator because it breaks forum/privacy rules. Its my fault for not warning you.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Ancestry's data set "UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972" lists under medal number 23200 for a George Harry Bailey - Royal Fleet Reserve Long Service and Good Conduct Medal for the years 1935-1952. Whilst I am not suggesting that he enlisted at 11 it might be him because the categorisation of the databases can sometimes be a little weird.

I think that you may be right in thinking that the origin of the photographer could be significant. The war caused people to move around, but if he originally hailed from Lincolnshire then that would be one area to lòok at and eliminate or not as the case may be.

Your grandparents may have divorced, but in the 1950s it would have taken longer than a year to happen. You can get the courts to search for divorce records but it is expensive - £45 for a 10 year period : https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

Of course in the 1950s there were lots of cases of bigamy - couples separated, divorce was expensive, there was no social media for people to be caught out on........?.

Hi thank you for that - do you know if I can contact a moderator to remove anything that shouldn't be included?

I did send a message to a moderator yesterday but nothing seems to have been deleted. Perhaps I have misunderstood the rules.

No, it was my birthday so I had a dinner and party to go to.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen C View Post
    Hi thank you for that - do you know if I can contact a moderator to remove anything that shouldn't be included?
    Hi Karen,
    Because a particular mod might not be available it's probably best to send an 'alert' which notifies all mods.
    To do that, click on the little triangle with an exclamation mark in it, which you will find in the blue banner beneath the post which contains details you want removing.
    Say which details you want removing because they refer to a living person, press submit.
    The details should be removed fairly quickly.

ADDED: I've deleted some details in post #4. Will leave you to check which other details you want deleting in that and other posts.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I did send a message to a moderator yesterday but nothing seems to have been deleted. Perhaps I have misunderstood the rules.
    Depends which mod you sent the message to wimsey. At least two are on holiday at the moment so might not have seen your message.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Ancestry's data set "UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972" lists under medal number 23200 for a George Harry Bailey - Royal Fleet Reserve Long Service and Good Conduct Medal for the years 1935-1952. Whilst I am not suggesting that he enlisted at 11 it might be him because the categorisation of the databases can sometimes be a little weird.

I think that you may be right in thinking that the origin of the photographer could be significant. The war caused people to move around, but if he originally hailed from Lincolnshire then that would be one area to lòok at and eliminate or not as the case may be.

Your grandparents may have divorced, but in the 1950s it would have taken longer than a year to happen. You can get the courts to search for divorce records but it is expensive - £45 for a 10 year period : https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

Of course in the 1950s there were lots of cases of bigamy - couples separated, divorce was expensive, there was no social media for people to be caught out on........?.
    Thank you Megan... I cannot see that record you mention in the UK Naval Medal records. Will I find that under a usual search on Ancestry? I did wonder about whether my Gran had got divorced, tbh, she had several husbands and I did wonder if she would have been able to afford to get divorced.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Karen I don't know if this link will work for you to Ancestry but .?
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...ls&gsfn=George harry&gsln=Bailey&gsfn_x=NN&gsln_x=NN&cp=0&new=1&r ank=1&uidh=zi1&redir=false&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=0&h=1205725&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast